Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pregnant and get recurrent yeast infections. My MW said to take probiotics, but she didn't get into specific brands/dosages. I've taken "Acidopholus PB8" in the past, but wondering what else is good to take regularly.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Sometimes you just never know. There might be a certain brand that makes a really good product, but if it got too warm before being stocked at the store, it won't work at all. I always look for one that's in the refrigerated section of a reputable health-foods store, and that has several different typse of lactobacillus, not just acidophilus. Have had good luck with some and bad luck with others, and I think mostly it has more to do with how long it took before I made it home and put them in my fridge. As far as dosage goes, you can take as many as you want and it won't hurt you. I generally take four or five capsules, twice a day, if I'm treating an already existing yeast problem. Less than that if it's preventive maintenance. You also need to cut out any sugar, wheat, and dairy from your diet.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi Lylasmom,

I agree with what the pp said. I just wanted to tell you that you should really listen to your midwife and try to cure your yeast problem BEFORE your baby is born. Let me tell you why.....

I had persistent yeast infections throughout my pregnancy also. I tried here and there to do something about it. I never stayed consistent about it. I didn't know the implications of yeast while brestfeeding. So I ignorantly ignored my body. So I give birth and everything goes well. Then about 3 days into our nursing relationship I develop thrush on my nipples. I have never known a worse pain! Labor pailed in comparison to this pain. So had I solved this before, I most likely would have avoided this hell.

I just wanted to tell you this because I am always saying, "I wish someone had told me about this BEFORE I had the baby!"

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
There are many probiotics that simply don't work properly. I take one called Bio_K and it is fantastic. It's like a little yogurt, and it works better than anything I've ever tried.

You find it in the refrig section of a health food store.

Garden of Life also makes a good product for yeast infections. I think it's called Primal Defense.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Shaklee makes a great probiotic too.
We recently started taking their multivitamin and probiotics. Next I'm hoping to try the alfalfa- its supposed to help with sinus issues, which I have WAY too many of :LOL

·
Premium Member
16,735 Posts
Right on Jane, esp the kefir, it is so easy to make. I do like the Shaklee products though. My mom pays for them bc they are so expensive and i have a great mom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts