Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The MW was here today, and she said I should take probiotics.

Can anyone recommend some that I should try? It is best if I can order them on the internet, since I have no car to get around easily and I don't expect them to be in local stores.

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
9,053 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
My ND recommended the brand "Probiotic Pearls" because they have a high count of live bacteria, she said that many brands are lower than they claim... I think she was especially referring to what's sold in health food stores, etc, though. I like that it doesn't require refrigeration.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Please consider Natren. Their Healthy Trinity has really helped both my daughter and I. We've tried other brands, without much success. It is the only brand we'll use.

GL

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
How do the probiotic pearls work? I thought probiotics always needed refrigeration to stay "live"? It would be nice if these ones don't need to be cool, as I hesitate to buy them online simply because of the temperature issue.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by selkat View Post
How do the probiotic pearls work? I thought probiotics always needed refrigeration to stay "live"? It would be nice if these ones don't need to be cool, as I hesitate to buy them online simply because of the temperature issue.
I don't really know, I just took my ND's word for it.
They do have a thicker coating than the acidophalus I used to buy from HFSs, and the store from which I buy them doesn't refrigerate them. My current ND said that while they don't need to be refrigerated, and thus are ideal for traveling, while I'm at home I might as well keep them in the fridge for best results.

I just googled them and only found shopping websites, but they all said this:

Quote:
Probiotic Pearls with patented True Delivery™ Technology protect the Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium longum from stomach acids, and guarantee delivery into the intestine, where they are released intact to increase healthy intestinal flora.† Unlike other enteric-coated products which offer no on-shelf protection (and only minimal protection against stomach acids), patented True Delivery Technology protects the microflora in Probiotic Pearls from shelf conditions like air and light.
Studies show patented Probiotic Pearls deliver up to 900% more intact microflora to the intestine in relation to label claim than 4 leading competitors, including those with enteric coatings.
FWIW my first ND in CA had me on one pill a day, but my new ND here tsked and said that was just a maintenance dose, then put me on some intense probiotic powder I took once a week. And my health is way better now, even though I have not been too successful with implementing significant dietary changes yet. Now I take 2 probiotic pearls a day which I consider my high-maintenance dose

BTW, I do not know enough to recommend these over other really good brands, but it's definitely one of the good brands and worth considering IMO.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by angelamom25 View Post
What are probiotics good for?? When to use them? What do they do??

Thanks for any info!!
Just for a quick answer. We all have microbes living in our gut. Some of them are good for us (such as acidophalous). Others are okay in very small amounts, but problematic if they increase (such as yeast).

When the microbes get imbalanced, it often produces digestive problems, but because the digestive system is so central it often produces unpleasant symptoms in various other parts of the body, such as joints & skin & mental health etc.

Antibiotics usually screw up the microbial balance in our gut. They generally kill off both good & bad bacteria, and the good bacteria often don't grow back to their full strength, so yeast and bad bacteria take over... especially yeast. Also many things we ingest have antibiotic properties, such as NSAIDs-- non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: aspirin, tylonol, all of those. Also sometimes our drinking water has chlorine in it. Etc.

So probiotics just help to restock our gut with the good bacteria.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by angelamom25 View Post
Now, how do you og about them? how/where what do you buy??? How do you use? etc!!
Well, this thread is about the "what". You can take them in pill form, and/or in food form: in yogurt, kefir, & some other foods. Yogurt is the most common. So that covers the how as well, briefly speaking.

The only thing you want to be aware of is that not every source of probiotics has the same value. If you're taking antibiotics and having diarrhea and other side effects, it'd be better to go for some strong probiotics. Mild probiotics, such as storebought (but live culture) yogurt, is good for day to day maintenance. If you have some health issues that you suspect are due to a microbial imbalance, you'll want to take something that's medium strength. There are no absolute rules so people basically decide for themselves what they need.

As for where to buy, you can buy foods from regular grocery stores, make your own, you can buy decent quality probiotics from HFSs, you can buy higher quality probiotics from some HFSs, from NDs, or over the internet...

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi, all. Thanks for all the info.

No, the MW didn't recommend them for any specific issue. Just as something I should take routinely.

At this point, I am not prepared to culture my own.

I do often eat Stonyfield Farms' whole milk yogurt.

I would like to take something in pill form for convenience, to make sure I get it into me every day.

I looked at Jarrow and Natren. Jarrow's contains gelatin, which I don't want. Natren doesn't list the inactive ingredients on their site (at least I can't find them). Can someone with a bottle of Natren Healthy Trinity let me know what the inactive ingredients are?

Actually, there are multiple possible sources of gelatin. If someone could look at a bottle of Jarrow's and see if it has a kosher mark, I would be grateful. It is possible their gelatin derives from non-pork sources.

(I am about 15 pages into the huge probiotic thread linked above by a previous poster, but I have to go out so I will read the rest later)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
Actually, there are multiple possible sources of gelatin. If someone could look at a bottle of Jarrow's and see if it has a kosher mark, I would be grateful. It is possible their gelatin derives from non-pork sources.
Here is a vegetarian Jarrow formula, it's also room temerature stable. http://jarrow.com/product.php?prodid=228 There is no Kosher symbol, that I can see, but the ingredients are listed on the site.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.