Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this forum is where I can ask questions like this- I am new to posting over here!

A friend recently (2 months ago?) knit my daughter a pair of longies using the free, online pattern from Tiny bird/little bird (I can't recall the name, sorry!) and she made them in the Patons 100% wool Merino in the Rosewood color. they look GREAT, but the problem is as she has been wearing them the waist band has been getting less and less stretchy and now is all streched out and seems really big. I have to use the draw cord and really hate doing that as I change her frequently and really, that is getting to be a pain...

Has anyone else made this pattern and had this problem or does any one have any suggestions to make them stay up on her better? they do "fit" her, it is just they have somehow strestched out. I have washed them 3 or 4 times and have been super careful with them, using Eucalan wash, hand washing them, blotting them on a towel, and laying them out to dry, I have relanolized them once. I am really hoping someone can help me, she only has this one pair of knit longies and I really use them a LOT!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
It's the wool, not the pattern.

100% merino will stretch over time, esp. if the ribbing is knitted on relatively large needles.

WHen you lay them to dry, you can push the ribbing together so it's smaller, and it should help a bit.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
You could also take some elastic thread and thread it through the ribbing and it will slip on and off a bit more snugly without having to use the drawstring.

I am currently making a pair of these myself! It's such a simple pattern and quick to knit.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I can't remember the name of the site (I'm sure someone else can) but there is an online tutorial on adding a piece of elstic to your wasitband and using yarn in the same colorway to sew it in/hide it. They look really nice and from everything I've read works wonderfully.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.