Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Today I picked up a new prenatal vitamin: VitaFusion PreNatal DHA & Folic Acid. However, after getting them home and having already had my first dose....I noticed there is no iron in them. So my question to you is about how much iron should I be getting a day? And is there anything else this vitamin is lacking that I should get as well. Gah!<br><br>
Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
<p>How is your iron level in your bloodwork?  I never take sups with iron, and mine is always on the higher end of normal.  Maybe you don't need it.  Check with your blood before you worry about iron.</p>

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
<p>I have read the RDA for pregnancy is 27 mg. Depends on your needs though. I got by taking an iron supplement with just 18 mg. You can get a test or if you start to feel very tired and have trouble like walking up steps getting out of breath easily or heart palpitations, it may be low. I started to get low with this pregnancy at 18 weeks, I just have low iron in general even with a high iron diet.</p>

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
<p>Mine has 18mg and I had a haemoglobin at 14 one month before conception, now I'm at 11.9! So I'm adding Floradix to my diet (another 18mg daily). I don't mind iron supplements, I'm not at all constipated (rather the opposite) so it actually helps me to be regulate my bowels.</p>
<p>Anyway, ask your midwife/doc for your HB levels, they do them automatically at the beginning of pregnancy (the CBC contains the number).</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts