Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Are you absolutely positive about baby's positioning. Is baby posterior? It could be an asynclintic head, nuchal hand, hand up by baby's face, face presentation...a whole lot of things. how due are you? I see by your counter you are 38 weeks? It isn't time yet...you could go 4 more weeks...
Are you bearing down at all?(I wouldn't cuz it can cause cervical swelling and cause labor to stop).You could go to six cm without labor actually kicking in...

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I did nightly four hrs-long or more hard ctx for four weeks before ds3 was born. He was my first labour and my first freebirth. My previous two births were c/s.

For me, I knew that adhesions were tearing because I could feel them tearing and I had the pleasant experience of being able to take in a full breath and stand up straight for the first time since my last c/s when those ones tore.

There was also a lot of emotional healing that I had to go through before I was really ready for ds3 to come. He was perfectly positioned during this time. I can feel with my hands the position of my babies and I could feel him scratching me with his fingernails on both hands, so I knew his hands were not stuck close to my cervix.

I had nine hrs of labour in spite of having been 4-6cm and stretchy for weeks, although those measurements were very early in the rpodromal because my water broke twice and I didn't check until it sealed up the first time and then it broke and leaked for the last week, so I didn't check then either, so I don't know what was going on that way for the last week, but I had been up to 6cm during the prodromal stuff and that was my first labour.

With ds4, I deliberately chose to stop labouring until I had the space. The afternoon before he was born, I began having hard ctx and I knew he was coming, so I thought I'd go with it while dh looked after the others, but they wouldn't leave me alone! I couldn't go anywhere without them against my legs!
So sweet.

So I just went about the day like usual with no ctx.

I decided not to labour until after they were all in bed, but then ds1 ended up with the flu I'd had for the previous two days, so I forestalled again, until at 11pm, my water just suddenly broke, and in three ctx in three minutes, ds4 was out and on my belly. I didn't check my dilation at all that day.

For me, my labouring is very senstive to my emotional state and my determination to focus as well. Maybe there's something you're not quite ready for or something you need to deal with before the baby's born?

Is your labouring sensitive that way? Could the EPO be irritating your uterus and causing premature ctx? I had to be very careful about wearing clothing that rubbed against a certain area of my belly because I'd have ctx every few minutes just from that in the third trimester with all of my pgs. Are you getting enough salt?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I have a good friend who had a preterm labor scare, painful BH for month, and 3 episodes of prodromal labor before her baby showed up at 40w5d. The baby was in a good position and while her labor was long, it was probably because she wasn't really in a good headspace for it.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience!

I'm definitely the most mentally/emotionally ready than I ever have been before. I was "ready" last time but still a wee bit nervous because it was my first homebirth AND UC, but this time that's obviously not the case and I can't think of anything "standing in my way" at all.

I don't *think* the EPO is causing any issues? I haven't noticed any difference from when I use it and when I don't. As for salt, I don't limit it, that's for sure. I've never really paid much attention to exactly how much I get though...?
Then I guess it'll remain a mystery.
Well, unless you figure something out that you haven't yet, or baby just arrives suddenly. If you're really ready, then you are, and now the dreaded 'you'll just have to wait until the time comes' phrase is pulled out on you...
Sorry.

I don't always notice that I've had more to drink than the amount of salt I've had can support. Especially if I am sitting down to a litre of tea, which I commonly do in the evenings. Then my heart lets me know with palpitations, so I eat some salt and I'm fine again.

How are you feeling today?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.