Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a post concerning SIDS awareness and prevention on a mainstream board I frequent and the first response I got was this:

"I bought a matress cover from this co in New Zealand -- ordered it online and it came in about 10 days.

It's pretty amazing that all it takes is a little plastic to stop sids -- but the statistics don't lie...

http://www.preventcribdeath.com/ "

I can't tell you how uneasy this website made me (check out the FAQ page). It states
"1) Don't smoke around your baby.

Recent history refutes any suggestion that smoking causes crib death, says Dr Sprott. Smoking was very common in Britain in the 1930s and 1940s, but crib death was virtually non-existent. Smoking is prevalent in present-day Russia and Japan, but the crib death rates are low. No cause-and-effect relationship between smoking and crib death has been established - they are socio-economic parallels. Put another way, smoking is more common among poorer people, and so is crib death. But it does not follow that smoking is therefore a crib death risk factor. "

In regards to the statement in bold, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't family bed the norm in Japan? I'm not sure about Russia...Since co-sleeping lowers the risk of SIDS it would only make sense that a culture which mainly co-sleeps would have asignificantly lower SIDS rate.

Has anyone heard of the product their selling (a polyethylene mattress cover)? Maybe I'm over-reacting, but this Doc sets of some red flags for me...

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
There has been some very interesting research coming out of NZ about chemicals in mattresses being the culprit for SIDS. They have acheived really low SIDS rates by making this info well known in NZ. Dr. Sprott is a forensic scientist. A UK chemist Barry Richardson also came to this same conclusion in 1989 (can see his work at http://www.criblife2000.com). I wouldn't dismiss the theory, not the dr's behind it. If you read their work, it makes a lot of sense, including explaining why the back to sleep campaign is so effective and why SIDS seems to run in families, as well as why twins and preemies are more at risk. It's the only thing I've read on SIDS that seems to be proven step by step and that makes common sense.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Wow this is really interesting. I had never heard of any of this. But they do not address co-sleeping situations. Do these chemicals exist in regular mattress? Also what casuses the mildew? I am very intrigued.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mosky22
Wow this is really interesting. I had never heard of any of this. But they do not address co-sleeping situations. Do these chemicals exist in regular mattress? Also what casuses the mildew? I am very intrigued.
The only reference I found (on that particular site) to co-sleeping was this:

Quote:
2) Don't bedshare with your baby if you also smoke or smoked during pregnancy.

Misleading advice, says Dr Sprott. The risk posed by bedsharing does not arise from smoking - it arises from the mattress. Adults' mattresses very frequently contain the same chemical and fungi as babies' mattresses, and therefore they
can generate the same toxic gas/es. (For physiological reasons adults are not put at risk by this gas generation in mattresses.)
In regards to what causes the mildew...

Quote:
Dr Sprott states with certainty that the cause of crib death has been discovered: it is caused by very toxic nerve gases which can be generated from mattresses and certain other bedding used in babies' cribs. These toxic nerve gases are generated when compounds of phosphorus, arsenic and/or antimony in the bedding combine with household fungus which commonly grows in bedding.
It goes on to say that wrapping the mattress in their (plastic) covers won't cause the bedding to retain anymore heat than an unwrapped mattress, which doesn't really make much sense to me. Wouldn't something wrapped in plastic retain more moisture and heat, no matter how thin the material?

It also says that cotton bedding (such as that used in Japan) doens't let off the gasses that normal bedding does, so why not just use cotton bedding?

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
I think that has a lot to do with it. but I have one question, why can't women co-sleep when they smoked during their pregnancy? it makes sense that you should not cosleep if you smoke, but when a woman quits during her pregnancy, then why would she be told not to cosleep? my sister's friend quit whe she found out she was pg, and asked me about cosleeping the other day and I told her as long as she quit in the early weeks it would not be a problem. still, I didn't have an answer as to why if you quit when you're 7 mo. pg or 5 mo. pg, you still cannot cosleep.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts