Mothering Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I have seen that potato vine is a common addition to flower arrangements but I'm amazed that you harvested potatoes from a pot :eek: I think that is my favorite urban gardening story of all time!!!
There is a ornamental plant called "potato vine" that is not a potato. I'd have to look to see whether it's a solanaceae member, which it might be. The flowers are purple.

I can see potato plants looking very pretty in pots, but I don't think they are truly ornamental over an entire season, personally.

Reactions: pumabearclan

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Drying peas from a roadside market. We liked the flavor of these peas a lot so I saved some to dry and plant for our next batch of peas. These have been drying in this bowl for a week.

Seed saving will not work for some produce, especially patented plants since they produce sterile seeds. Look for "heirloom" varieties which are tried-and-true old-fashioned garden favorites rather than modern hybrids if you hope to save seeds for future planting.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
love the cucumber in your photo !
started pulling out pots & cleaning up under
will have to empty old soil and resplenish a sow seeds & will probably accept neighbor's offer to come and water pots during our absence in July = i COULD have something to look at upon our return !!!!
... additional motivation is to grow a kale plant (from seed) or two to maybe give to DD2 grade 2 teacher ... only 11 days to go ....

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Florida weave production zone for the tomato plants. These are Goliath heirloom tomatoes and the plants are supposed to be large as well as the fruit. I never grew this type before. The weave, stakes, and leaf pruning open up the plant for the tomatoes to flower & get enough sun to ripen.

The peppers are covered in flowers and baby fruits now. I have topped the yellow bottles under the mailbox twice and they are still reaching so I may have to tie them up. They're also flowering and fruiting well.

Going to harvest more onion greens (foreground) today.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Beautiful cuke photo!

Patented seeds don't mean they are sterile. It just means they won't grow true to type because they are hybrids-- specifically in this case, plants with certain predictable characteristics that only get expressed in the first generation of breeding. (The same is true for animal breed hybrids.) Any hybrid at all, patented or not, will do the same. You can collect seeds but will get a plant more similar to one of the parents, but not really the parent either.

Maybe I am mixing up what patented seeds are these days, as the sources I get my seeds from don't carry them?

Heirloom seeds will breed true to type if they are planted where they will not be cross-contaminated and there are some fascinating books on the subject.

Reactions: pumabearclan

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Patented seeds don't mean they are sterile. It just means they won't grow true to type because they are hybrids-- specifically in this case, plants with certain predictable characteristics that only get expressed in the first generation of breeding. (The same is true for animal breed hybrids.) Any hybrid at all, patented or not, will do the same. You can collect seeds but will get a plant more similar to one of the parents, but not really the parent either.
You are correct, seeds not sterile but not true to type. Good catch :)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The tomatoes are almost tall enough now and I will start topping them after one more weave. This variety is easy to work with, has long flexible stems.

The first pepper is now full-sized and ripening.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
well beyond the level of the horizontal middle plank !
... so far, have only planted 4 seeds in two containers (for the teacher hopefully, for July 2cd)
the neighbor will have enough to do with one water can at the front balcony a few times a week for the "succulent" planters .....
i'll plant on the back balconly after we return ...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I will be topping the Goliath tomatoes if they grow any taller and I have room for one more weave. They are covered in little flower blossoms :)

The first pepper is now ripening (it's a hot yellow salad pepper). The plants are just loaded with little green peppers. I have the hot yellow peppers, chilis, and a few jalapenos.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Day 31

Peas are flowering now. I expect to start harvesting in 2-3 weeks.

Cucumbers are flowering heavily and many small fruits are forming. It's been very humind & raining here, also cool nights, and the leaves are badly mildewed. Yesterday I clipped off the worst ones to increase airflow and reduce spreading it to all the leaves. Unless it gets dry and hot I think that the mildew is here to stay. I don't know how this will affect the yield since I've never successfully grown cucumbers before.

I'm keeping a tally of harvests in the first post of this thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
DSC04322.jpg
day 9; no kake came out, what came out is a kind of flower (seeds donated by the local council 6 months ago at some food related event, ... i cannot remember what type of flower it is ...) which will be donated to DD2 teacher tomorrow !

Attachments

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yesterday I did the last weave and trimmed the leaves again - and found a little cluster of Goliath tomatoes :) I've been pinching off the tops of the plants now since they are all 6 feet tall and maxed out their supports. The pepper plants each have 8-12 large formed peppers and are still flowering.

One of the benefits to gardening in a small space is that there are very few weeds; in fact I haven't had any weeds this year.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
am probably going to be off computer for about two weeks .... but will come back with interest to this thread to discover what you'll have been posting !!! (and THEN, probably starting some seeds on July 21st ...)

21 - 40 of 74 Posts