Mothering Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Day 37: Many baby cucumbers!

I also have 2 small squash plots which I haven't photographed since they are near the house. Big healthy plants with blossoms but the flowers fall off without making fruit. It's been very rainy and overcast here so perhaps that's why, I really don't know. Hopefully we will still get some squash.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I'm successfully growing garlic from the inner cloves of a pack of organic garlic that we bought at the supermarket. I haven't seen any around at the local markets so we bought some. Last time I did that I peeled them all, rinsed in distilled water, and put them in a glass container in the frig. After about 2 weeks they started to sprout. So this time I saved the inner cloves and was careful not to cut the tips, then I planted them in with the onions. Today I noticed that 3 of them sprouted up.

I grow the onions and will use this garlic for the green tops. My soil is a little rocky and doesn't get a lot of sun in that corner so the onion bulbs don't grow very much, they just keep putting out shoots instead.

Very excited about this because we LOVE garlic scapes!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Day 39: Goliath tomatoes are setting and growing well. There are at least a dozen well-formed tomatoes. The largest are pictured.

Also pictured are jalapenos - this is only about 1/3 of the jalapenos on the plants.

Harvested 2 cucumbers today also. The skins had started to turn golden at 3 inches indicating they were more that ripe so I picked them. Whether it's overcrowding or the variety I don't know but I revised my expectation to harvest them at 4" and will harvest at around 3" instead. They were delicious :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Day 40: Used 2 of the yellow salad peppers today. HOT and good!

Harvest thus far:

Basil, washed & chopped, cups: 6.5
Onion greens, washed & chopped, cups: 6.5
Peppers: 2
cucumbers, ~3 inches: 2

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Peas have maxed out the supports. I've pinched off a few of them but if they keep growing I will put up more string. They were supposed to be only 3' tall. Many pea pods and still flowering!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Day 43: Tomatoes and peppers are still growing and producing well. There are a few more peppers that can be harvested but I don't need them quite yet so I'll let them grow awhile longer. It's hard to see the fruits, especially the tomatoes because everything is green and leafy. I put up bigger pics this time. Looking forward to eating the yellow bottle tomatoes soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Day 45: As predicted there are peas to harvest. I harvest about 1/4 cup at a time and use raw in cold meat salad or stirred into rice or pasta. We use as many raw foods as possible and all the food I'm growing will be used raw. Except for squash (of which there isn't any yet).

I'm taking about 1 pepper a day and chopping raw into food. The tally of harvest from the plots pictured is updated on the first post of this thread.

The cucumbers are growing in a strange manner! I've had to water them a lot. They are supposed to look like pickles. I thought they would be bitter in the way they're growing but they taste fine. So I'll let them swell up a little more before picking them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Picked another batch of cucumbers this morning. Despite the appearance they taste fine. The Goliath tomatoes are producing well, they are making more flower branches and the tomatoes are growing large. Also the banana peppers and jalapenos are doing very well and there are many more that are ripe than I'm using every day. As long as they don't get pests or soft spots I'll let them on the vine rather than pick & store them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Everything still growing well here. Goliath tomatoes are getting huge. Yellow bottles are starting to ripen. The plants are enormous with loads of fruit. Using 1 banana or jalepeno pepper per day. Most of the other peppers are chilis, I planted mostly chilis because they dry so well. They aren't ripe yet. The cucumbers will probably yield ~10 more small ones. The vines look to be almost finished. I will plant cilantro seeds in the barrel once the cucumbers are done. After cilantro, a batch of kale. Then the season is over!

Harvest to date:

Day 54:

Basil, washed & chopped, cups: 8
Onion greens, washed & chopped, cups: 8
Peppers: 19
Yellow bottle tomatoes:
Goliath tomatoes:

cucumbers, ~3 inches: 26

Peas, shelled, cups: 1

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Very nice photos!

We've been eating zucchini every way I can think of lately, plus freezing some, and about to start the eighth jar of fermented cucumbers tonight. For some reason though, one of my pumpkins has already turned orange!

Your peppers look great. Unfortunately mine never sprouted.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
The tomatoes are producing well. There are still small flowering branches forming in addition to the tomatoes already visible. We've taken 20 banana and jalepeno peppers so far and the first ripe chili is visible in the photo. I had to tie up the yellow bottles, the plants are larger than I expected. They are also producing very well and we've had 6 of them so far - very tasty!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
forgot to post on the day & already cannot remember exactly when i did it .... but probably on Monday the 28th ... i opened that packet of seeds for spring onions (which i baught when on holiday in Scotland a week beforehand) & in a pot on my back balcony & will post a pictures when shoots will appear !!!!

haven't done anything yet about kale .... trying to cope with the high temperatures (a 20°C difference .... it DID rain during our holiday .... but at least we could SLEEP at night !!!!)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
The peas are still producing about 1/4 cups every 6 days. I have another 1/2 cup that I don't even need at the moment so I'll add it them to the sweet corn and pepper succotash I'm making to eat or freeze this week.

The morning glories have finally come over the fence from the other side :smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Made succotash today. The corn and the red tomato we bought but the rest is from our garden. This freezes well to be used within about 6 months - 2 years depending on the freezer, without blanching. I don't blanche, I get the cleanest veg I can to start with and store it airtight. So far no problems, although by the end of 12 months I used cooked well in chili and scrambled eggs.

Tonight we'll have some of this toasted on cheesy garlic bread with lots of butter.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 74 Posts