Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long did it take before you all started making some kind of profit from your businesses? I guess I am mainly asking those people that have sell things like diapers and slings, as that is what I plan to start out selling. Did it take a few months to earn a profit? Or did you start making small amounts of money right away? Also, has anyone gotten to a point where they could support themselves with just their home business? I am just trying to research everything, before I get started so that I know what to expect. Thanks.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hi Jenna,

Since I don't sell slings and diapers, I can't speak to that exactly. But starting any new small business is usually the same in terms of start-up costs, advertising, building a brand, etc. The rule of thumb is that most don't become profitable in the first year. There are, of course, exceptions to every rule, but that is pretty common.

I know that in my jewelry business, I have some profitable months, however my business as a whole has still not become completely profitable, and I've been in business for about 1.5 years. However, I'm only working on it part-time. The main thing is that my money gets tied up on my inventory, so even though I bring in more money than I spend each month now, I have invested in inventory which makes me not profitable. Be careful about investing too heavily in your inventory until you know what sells in your market.

Good luck.

Karen

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
It can't be that long. For example: I wanted to make a mess sling for myself. I purchased the material on sale and the rings and wal-la a sling for rougly $18 plus my time (about a hour uninterupted). The same slings sell for $42 at various websites, that is why I made mine.

So, if I were to sell my sling for say $35 plus shipping, I would have made $17 for my hours worth of work. Not bad, but I make $16 on slings I sell as a distributor for another company with no work.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Well, there is a difference between making a profit on a single sale and actually making a profit as a whole with your business. There are so many expenses that must be accounted for when opening an online store: computer expenses, printing expenses, internet connection, website hosting, website design, advertising, telephone, inventory, and more.

So saving money on 1 sling is great. But if you plan to make and sell many of them, you'll have to invest in supplies (which ends up being cheaper in the long run if you buy bulk, but means a larger initial investment). Also, you'll need to build your sales and marketing infrastructure, which also takes money.

So for each sling that you sell and make $17, you'll need to take some of that money to pay for all of the other expenses I mentioned above. That is why most small businesses take about 1 year before they become profitable AS A WHOLE!

Good luck,

Karen

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
I've been in Biz 3 years (I make EC training pants and a sewing pattern) and this will be the first year that I'm just about breaking even. 2 - 3 years is the average time it takes for a new biz to start being profitable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts