Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some research after m/cing a second time on low progesterone. I've found two conflicting schools of thought on how progesterone relates to miscarriage.

The first was that low progesterone levels cause you to miscarry because the levels aren't high enough to sustain a pregnancy. That'd be the egg...

The second was that, when the pregnancy (blastocyst, embryo, whatever stage it may be at) isn't viable, maybe due to some kind of chromosomal abnormality, progesterone levels will plumet in order to help the body shed the pregnancy. I suppose this would be the chicken argument.

So, anyone have any "educated" responses to this question? I've asked around and nobody I've talked to seems to know.

Thanks!
Sadie

· Registered
97 Posts
I have no "educated" answer, only true experience. I lost one preg to m/c -- no progesterone test. Got preg again, found low prog and went on a suppository for 12 weeks. Led to my sweet baby boy! Then lost another (very quick) preg to low progesterone.

So I can't possibly believe that my low progesterone when I was carrying my son was any indication that something was "wrong" w the egg - it turned into my little sweetheart! Rather I think you have to be careful that low prog doesn't cause you to m/c, not the other way around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.