Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am wondering about progesterone. I've never used it, but the doctor mentioned it for this time around. I didn't start it at day 17 because I didn't think I would be lucky enough to get pregnant, but I did and it's day 33ish. I don't know if I should start taking it. The doctor is out of the office for a few days, but I always want MDC mama advice anyway. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hi Sara,<br><br>
My last three babies were progesterone babies. You didn't mention if you've had any miscarriages leading up to the doc's suggestion to try progesterone, but I'm going to assume that either you have had early loss(es) or testing indicated that your level was low.<br><br>
My understanding is that it's safe to supplement when the level is low. Most docs will suggest that you supplement until 8 weeks, some suggest 10, but I request enough suppositories for 12 weeks (just makes me feel better). Everything I've read says that it's safe for mom and baby (although there is a concern about continuing past 12 weeks with a male fetus). Usually, by 8 weeks the placenta is making enough progesterone to sustain the pregnancy.<br><br>
I'm only familiar with the vaginal suppositories, but I understand the progesterone now comes in a patch as well. Personally, I would go with the suppositories because it seems more "local" to me rather than systemic, but I can't really comment because I don't know.<br><br>
HTH

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
I did alot of research before starting progesterone suppositories this pregnancy. I was unable to find anything negative about supplementation in early pregnancy. the only downfalls are to mom and include, vaginal irratation (I solved this by using the suppository rectally), headaches, increased morning sickness, that kind of thing.<br>
Most of the controversy over progesterone supplementation surrounds whether or not it actually helps or not and whether it's worth it to start after positive preg test. That said, you will find MANY, MANY moms who will swear the only reason their little ones are with them is progesterone--in my opinion that is better than any study.<br>
So, in short, I'd go for it as it can't hurt.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I had to take with with pg#3. I personally did not find any side effects from it.<br>
the one great thing about it was that, that was my only pg where i had no spotting in the beginning. so i was a bit more at ease.<br>
I was lucky not to have it this time my levels were a little better.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks you for the info. I feel better about doing it now. I did have one miscarriage, but I don't know that it was a progesterone issue.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hello,<br><br>
I too am taking progesterone supp. I had 2 m/c and although I was leary to do anything "not natural", I"d really feel bad if I had another m/c and didn't try something. I get nervous since I use it vag and I get some d/c of course, but I guess that's natural. I didn't read anything "bad" about prog....good luck to you!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts