Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a history of miscarriage...I am now on my fourth pregnancy and with my last miscarriage my OB told me to have my hCG and progesterone checked at the beginning of my next pregnancy, suggesting my progesterone might be low at the beginning of pregnancy...she also said I may have a clotting disorder (my platlets were high twice for her), but that I need to have another CBC in a couple months THEN we could move forward with testing, if my platlets were still high)...

We recently moved, and found out our insurance (that we're paying for from my husband's last job--his current one does not include insurance at this time) doesn't have coverage (besides emergency services) in this area...I'd have to drive at least an hour to find an OB--and that's just not realistic.

Are there things I can do naturally (and without a prescription) to increase my chances of not miscarrying again? Are there ways to encourage my body to produce the right amount of progesterone? Any words of wisdom or advice for me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
I am NOT an expert on this at all. I do have several friends who are currently pg who've had m/c and progesterone issues. In each of their cases I remember them saying that it was crucial to get an accurate read on their levels before treatment.

2 of them had to take progesterone suppositories until about 16 weeks, IIRC. There are natural alternatives out there, but unless you know what's really up with your system, it might not be a wise move to self-treat.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok--thanks for your imput!

Since we're still working with insurance to find a provider, it's impossible for me to get a "prescription" for a blood draw to check levels--that's what I want to do--get my blood levels checked--but, they won't draw my blood and order tests on MY word--they need a doctor to write a request for that (I still have lab insurance here--just no doctors in the area)...

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am also no expert, but have had 3 miscarraiges and went on to use progesterone suppositories to supplement with DS and my current pg.

One thing my RE said is that blood level of progesterone are not always that helpful. Mine was always in the normal range with the second two m/cs. He had me take the supplements from 3 days after ovulation till 12 weeks gestation. (stopping of course if I got my period or tested neg.)

If I were you, I would get some natural progesterone cream from a helath food store and research how much to use to maintain a pg. I also took a baby aspirin a day while ttc and up through the second trimester because they could also not rule out a clotting disorder.

Others might disagree, but I really felt like my RE was saying these two things are worth trying and often work. They did for me.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I used progesterone supps with this pregnancy, from BFP to 12 weeks along. Could you contact your old dr and ask for a phone consult or similar and maybe she could order tests and give you a prescription? Time is really of the essence if it's a p issue.

Also, does your insurance have absolutely NO coverage in your new area, or is it considered out of network? If it's out of network, you should be able to talk with someone at the health ins company so they can make an exception since you are living out of area.

Or, make the 1 hour trip this time and get the bloodwork done and ask the dr if she'll call in the script for you depending on the results.

GL and I hope you can work something out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I just found that I am pregnant 4 weeks and blood work showed low Progesterone and I am taking shots 3 x a week . My OB whom I have only met twice is not very encouraging. But after read up on this it looks like its common to take progesterone . Any feed back would be helpful ...

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
I've unsuccessfuly used the suppositories in 3 pregnancies that ended in m/c. This time around (sticky vibes please!) I'm 7 weeks, and using a natural progesterone cream I got from my local health food store. I rub it on my belly when I see pink on the tp or have any cramping. Maybe that would be an option for you. Really, the numbers from the blood draw tell you very little, and often cause a lot of stress. I decided not to do any this time around. There is nothing you can DO with the hcg numbers. They can't give you a drug to make your hcg go up. You can't will the numbers to double. While you can do something with the progesterone value (ie prog. supplements) you can do that anyway without the test and without a prescription. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I had low progesterone during this pregnancy and used the vaginal suppositories. My insurance covered the blood work but did not cover the rx. I think it cost me about $100.00 for the meds to go through 12 weeks.

I have heard that the natural creams to not adequately raise the progesterone levels to what they need to be. But I am not a women's health practitioner.

Is there any way you can have your old doc call someone locally to get some paperwork in for your labs? I think it is a good idea to test first, maybe your progesterone is fine and then you don't have to go down that road.

I don't know how much it would cost out of pocket, could you go to a women's health clinic and see if any of the providers there would write the order?

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Here's what I know about Progesterone in a nutshell. If you have already been diagnosed with low P or suspected to have low P, most say that it can't hurt to go ahead and supplement. (Not everyone agrees with that statement but it's what my ND, MW and OB all told me.) Ideally you would supplement everyday from O to AF or the second trimester. The sooner you can get it into your system, the better off you are. How far along are you now?

I think the standard prescription is for suppositories. I had those and was not a fan. The most benign base I could find for them from a local pharmacy still contained hydrogenated oils and propylene glycol. Not exactly what I want to be poppin into my yoni.
I did use the OTC P cream one cycle but ended up with another m/c. I think the cream can work for some, but if you are truly low on P then it's not enough. It tends to get concentrated in your fat cells since it's applied topically and so not enough of it gets where it needs to go. Some take prescription pills but I've read that too much of that gets filtered out by the liver. Injections are another option but then that brings you back to the whole insurance issue.

So that leaves us with my current favorite, sublingual progesterone. The brand my ND prescribed is called ProgonB by Bezwecken and you can get it without an rx online (here for example). The tablets dissolve under your tongue and go straight to your bloodstream via those big veins under there. My blood test results went from 4.5 at 17DPO and miscarrying to 44 at 12DPO and pregnant. I'm currently 8 weeks and still taking it.

I'm not a professional, so I don't know if everyone would have the same results, but my experience has been great so I wanted to share. Seems like it would solve the insurance/doctor distance issue for you.

For the possible clotting disorder, baby aspirin (81mg) is the usual recommendation. I'm not sure how long you would take it for as I've heard conflicting reports on that, but definitely stop by 36 or 38 weeks or you may risk hemorrhage from your blood being so thin. I've also heard that it isn't 100% safe for everyone just to go out and take it, but if you do have a clotting disorder than the benefit is generally considered to outweigh the risk. HTH.

·
Banned
25 Posts
After 2 losses, I used OTC Chaste Tree (Vitex) to raise my progesterone, thicken my lining and lengthen my luteal phase. It worked! My progesterone went from 6 to 32.4 in two weeks, I began ovulating and I am 17 weeks pregnant right now! I lost the others by now. I would recommend it!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
i used the natural progesterone cream this month to lengthen my luteal phase and also supplemented an add'l 200mg of B6- above and beyond what is in your prenatal vitamin== just google these suggestions as there is a ton of info on them-- best of luck and hugs!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts