Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried giving my 7 month old ds rice cereal for the second time today and just like the first time it made him VOMIT. Has anyone else ever experienced this? I wasn't absolutely sure it was the cereal after the first episode but now I'm convinced! I wasn't super gung ho on feeding it to him in the first place but I thought I'd try it out since it's supposed to be so "mild." Good grief! Not! He's done great with all the nice organic fruits and vegetables I've offered him though (well, except for bananas). Go figure. The rice cereal now lives in the trash! My pediatrician was funny and supportive. She said she always felt like rice cereal should be used as a craft adhesive

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Exact same thing to ds when I gave avocado...he's either allergic or he ate too much. Its wierd, he's sensitive to everything BUT cereal. Isn't it horrible to see them puke like that?

Dawn

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thankfully no problems with my daughter, but my niece was allergic to something in it and had projectile vomiting.

Laura

·
Registered
425 Posts
Didn't have the vomiting, but my DD had diarrhea for 5 days after her first few bites of rice cereal. Everything else we introduced was fine. I couldn't believe she was so sensitive to it since it is supposed to be mild.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Yeah, dump it. Do some searches here, it's actually better to let baby self feed instead of spoon-feeding anyway.

-Angela

·
Registered
699 Posts
My DS1 did the same thing the first time we introduced fruits & vegetables. He'd had a little cereal before that, but no other solids. He vomited as soon as he swallowed it, not after it had had a chance to settle in his stomach. I think the texture/thickness freaked him out. I waited a little while (a couple weeks) and tried him again. No problem.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Our dd2 did the exact same thing with the oatmeal infant cereal. We steered clear of oatmeal until she climbed up and helped herself to her brother's bowl of regular oatmeal at about 14 months. She had no reaction and loved it. I wonder if it isn't all the processing that stuff goes through... who knows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts