Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
an herbalist friend of mine told me about prokarin. it is a very new drug marketed by a woman with rapidly progressive ms who apparently discovered it. it is a type of histamine patch, not an injectable. anyway, did a google and found some interesting reads on it, thought you'd like to know.

i have had relapsing remitting ms for over 14 years and have never taken anything for it. i am minimally compromised. i do herbs, diet, psychotherapy, walking outside, spirituality, etc. works here, but to each her path. blessings,

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Never heard of it but am wondering about ms in general & this thread caught my eye.

I have been having "weakness " in my knees --they feel like jello --I fell down on them twice & have to hold on to the rails when going down any stairs .

What are the usual symptoms of ms?

Thanks,
Jennifer

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Re: Prokarin -- it also contains caffiene, so I passed on it. I did try pure histamine, but either I didn't do it right, or it didn't work for me. From what I've read, it's a fairly short term treatment and stops working after awhile. I've heard of some people only using it on really bad days, so that it won't lose it's effectiveness. My understanding is that it's actually not such a new thing. Then again, I was only diagnosed last fall, so since it was around before that, maybe it just seems old to me.

hippiemom, I've chosen not to take the drugs offered, too. I also choose to follow the "alternative" route. I get accupuncture, take Chinese herbs (prescribed by my accupunturist), walk, sometimes still see my homeopath, and I do a lot of detox and follow a diet per Dr. Huggins (a dentist who removes mercury amalgams and has whole protocol to follow afterward -- I had my amalgams removed 10 yrs. ago, but now I'm back in his program).

Jazmommie, what you're describing sounds very familiar to me. That's how my exacerbation last fall started. Then it progressed to weak arms (esp. the left) and numbness on my right side (except the arm and hand, thank goodness) and numbness in my left arm and hand. I needed a cane to walk at the worst.

That doesn't mean you have MS, though. They ruled out a few other things when they diagnosed me. How long has that been going on? As I understand it, usually that kind of thing comes on suddenly and then goes away awhile later (the time varies). If you're having that kind of trouble, seeing a dr. would be a good idea. Even if you don't want to take the drugs they offer, it's good to know what's going on.

I would recommend going to the MS Support Group thread. You'll find many others who will share their knowledge. You'll get support during the diagnostic process, if you want. And you'll find that they're supportive of alternative treatments, so you don't have to feel weird about posting if you have no interest in taking any of the major drugs for MS (I'm not sure any of the people on that thread are actually taking them now). Just reading through the thread (it's pretty long by now) will give you a lot of info about MS.

I'm here to "listen", and to answer any questions, too.

I'm sorry you're having to go through this. Whether or not it's MS, it's no fun, and it's pretty scary.

Christie

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Christie,
Thanks for helping me get more info .
I looked up ms in my merck manuel & there were a lot of other muscle weakness descriptions that sound more like what I am experiencing.
My chiropractor saw that my Lumbar # 3 was out --it controls my cycles (which were messed up last month) & my knees .
We will see.
I work with a couple women with ms & they both have baclofen pumps --they are both bed & chair bound now though.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I hope the chiropractic adjustment helped. Do you think that's all it was? Wouldn't that be great! I know my chiropractor sure helps. Especially when my back is weak.

Quote:
I looked up ms in my merck manuel & there were a lot of other muscle weakness descriptions that sound more like what I am experiencing.
Ok, maybe I'm just dense, but I don't know what you were saying here.
: Were you saying that you found descriptions of MS in the Merck Manual that ring true for you? Or were you saying that you found descriptions of something other than MS, and that sounded more like what you have? Sorry, I just couldn't quite figure out what you were meaning.

I hope you're doing better!

Christie

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
sorry-yes other things is what I meant---I read about ms more tonight & wow -I do not know -the chiro adjustment did not seem to help with the weakness--
It dos not change much-only in my knees is where I feel the "weakness".

I will keep reading -thanks again.
jennifer

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Jennifer, is there a dr. you can go to? I asked my dh (a physical therapist, and thus more medically inclined than I am) about this, and he said "there are a few things it could be, but none of them is good." It would be good to find out for sure (or as sure as a dr. can be
) what it is. It may be something you should have medical attention for, and then again there may be nothing they can provide that you want. But knowing does empower you to a certain extent.

Good luck.
I know it's hard.
Christie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts