Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My kids started school for the first time this fall, after previously being homeschooled, and we have had a lot of colds, strep throat, etc.  However, we've all rebounded pretty quickly.  Ds2, however, has been congested now for at least 2 months.  He had gotten a cold, was congested, and then it never went away.  He has had other colds/illnesses come and go since then, and during those times the congestion has gotten worse, but it is now persistent with no other symptoms.  No fever, no cough, no runny nose, totally happy and energetic and eating just fine.  In fact, he seems the healthiest in the house - the three of us all had various bouts of strep throat, and ds2 never got it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Our holistic pediatrician finally suggested that we do a round of antibiotics in case he had a sinus infection.  He's never had antiobitics before, and it really bothered me, but we decided to give it a try since out ped doesn't dole them out for any old reason.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Well, he's on day 7 of the antibiotics, and there's been no real change. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I find it hard to believe that he just all of a sudden developed an allergy, coinciding with getting sick a lot after starting school. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>My older son, starting at about 2-3yo, had chronic, severe sleep apnea.  It turns out he had massively enlarged tonsils and adenoids, and after trying elimination diets and homeopathy, we finally had them removed.  Ds2's situation is nothing like ds1's was, and I can see that ds2's tonsils are not at all enlarged.  Could it be possible that he has enlarged adenoids without enlarged tonils?  How likely is it that all of a sudden, without any warning, he is now experiencing problems with them?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any thoughts or suggestions? </p>

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
<p>I don't know about the adenoids but I think I would try zyrtec and see if it fixes the congestion. If it does you've narrowed it to allergy and can at least cross infection and adenoids off the list...or that would be my thought in your place.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My 6, almost 7, year old developed a new allergy this fall/winter. I don't know what it is but I know that his only season without allergy symptoms (late fall/winter) has now become one of his most severe allergy seasons this year for the first time.</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts