3,544 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amylcd
Mar - Lean
That is my cousins name & we say it the same way

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Definitely Mar-Lean. I have never heard it pronounced another way!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blissful_maia
Definitely Mar-Lean. I have never heard it pronounced another way!

:

This is my mom's middle name that she went by until college.

Deb

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmd
If she was European, I might say Mar- Lane- a, though, like Marlene Dietrich.
Well, I am, but I wanted to see how I should expect the ordinary medical assistant at the pediatricians to call the name out...( if we'd use it which heavily depends on this)

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by huggerwocky
Well, I am, but I wanted to see how I should expect the ordinary medical assistant at the pediatricians to call the name out...( if we'd use it which heavily depends on this)
Well I was also going to say that DH's cousin named her daughter mar-lane-a, but I believe they also spelled it Marlena.

·
Registered
625 Posts
That's funny, I was like "Mar LEEN, of course, how else?" until the post about Marlene Dietrich, which I say "Mar LAY nuh." Funny how much context affects things! Anyway, unless your last name is Dietrich, I would still say Mar LEEN at first glance.

I did a similar thread because our leading girl name is prone to various pronunciations (much to my chagrin, I really wanted to avoid that), and the spelling I prefer will, I think, make it worse.
: I think we are going to go with my less preferred spelling in the interest of not correcting people constantly...

So which pronunciation are you hoping for? (After you collect our input, of course!
)

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimi37
That's funny, I was like "Mar LEEN, of course, how else?" until the post about Marlene Dietrich, which I say "Mar LAY nuh." Funny how much context affects things! Anyway, unless your last name is Dietrich, I would still say Mar LEEN at first glance.

I did a similar thread because our leading girl name is prone to various pronunciations (much to my chagrin, I really wanted to avoid that), and the spelling I prefer will, I think, make it worse.
: I think we are going to go with my less preferred spelling in the interest of not correcting people constantly...

So which pronunciation are you hoping for? (After you collect our input, of course!
)
uh, husband just said no the name so there you go....

I'm german and, OF COURSE, wanted the Marlene Dietrich pronounciation

·
Registered
625 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by huggerwocky
uh, husband just said no the name so there you go....
Oh, boo. I sympathize -- I have come up with so many fabulous names that DH has vetoed. Of course he feels the same way!

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimi37
Oh, boo. I sympathize -- I have come up with so many fabulous names that DH has vetoed. Of course he feels the same way!
Your husband made suggestions?
:

Mine just says no!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts