Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are seriously considering a move to Carrboro this summer. DH would be working for UNC hospital. We hear nothing but good things about the area - walkable, healthy community, good schools (although we're planning to homeschool our three little ones). Just wanted the skinny from mammas with young children who actually live there. The good and the bad (is there anything bad?) Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
I have nothing bad to say except housing prices can be high and taxes, too. Worth it, imho, but we bought about 15 yrs ago, too.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by beanma View Post
I have nothing bad to say except housing prices can be high and taxes, too. Worth it, imho,
Same here. We're renters, but we've looked online at what we could afford to rent in Durham compared to here and it about makes us cry. In Durham, we could have a 4BR awesome, gorgeous, big, pretty landscaped lawn, well-maintained newer house in an awesome neighborhood; Here the same amount of money gets us either a smaller 4BR townhome with a pretty entrance, landscaping, and neighborhood playground, or a larger (than the townhome, but smaller than the Durham house) 4 BR house in a decent neighborhood with a crappy yard and older home. All that said, we're still planning to stay in Carrboro when our short-term lease we moved here on is up. We love it! I can't say enough good things about the schools, the neighborhoods, the shopping, the social/community, and the public transit. We're in love!

·
Registered
527 Posts
It is a nice area, although I wouldn't necessarily call it walkable. It primarily consists of subdivisions. There isn't much of a downtown. I've certainly lived in places where you can walk to more stores, restaurants and things to do. And, as mentioned, real estate is very expensive. If it weren't for schools, we would move to Durham. Seems like there is a lot more going on, a better art scene, and a more walkable city.

I don't want to put down Chapel Hill or Carrboro - the people here are GREAT. And, it has charm. We are going to have our first experience with public school next year (yikes). One last thing, I feel like their isn't much of a middle class in this area. Almost all of the people I've met in my 2.5 years here seem to have a LOT of more $$$ (and thats coming from a family that moved from California).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.