Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you give me some suggestions on keeping babies teeth healthy while nursing all night long? My dd was a night nurser and she developed tooth decay. I want to avoid that at all costs. Thanks!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Brush really well before bed as soon as they have teeth (or even before) The research seems to show that human milk alone will not cause decay, but milk with other food particles is nasty stuff.

-Angela

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Angela!
I'm glad you told me about human milk not being the cause for tooth decay.
I thought it was like how they say "bottle rot". I will admit, I didn't take as well care of dd's teeth when she was night nursing. I will be better at ds's teeth because I know that tooth decay on little one's are not attractive, plus the dental bill's were not fun either. Thanks Again!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
It takes 24 hours for harmful bacteria to colonize, so if you brush before bed, and again in the morning, you should be fine. (This info courtesy of my dentist and pediatrician, who both support "extended nursing".
)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Remember too that the milk does not get a chance to pool in the mouth like it does if you are bottle feeding.Mothering did a article about nightfeeding and sometimes the tooth decay bacteria come from mom or other caretakers and that is hoqw they get dental decay.Those suggestions about brushing before bedtime and in the morning are good.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Boobs don't leak! If you brush your child's teeth well twice a day you are doing all you can. Research actually shows that breast milk helps protect teeth, opposite of the bottle! My youngest got a cavity at 10 months but the tooth came in with a weak spot that I could see, had nothing to do with dental hygeine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.