Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom has a car seat in her car for DD and for my neice. She has a nice car that is less than one year old, and it has pretty leather seats. The bottom of the car seat kind of digs into the cushy leather, so she puts a sturdy rug under the car seat. Is this safe? The car seat is otherwise safe--it is the seat I selected myself, it is rear-facing, and I do the tightening and installation myself. But I got to worrying about the rug. Is it safe to have the car seat resting on something? It feels perfectly tight, but I thought one of you car seat experts might have more information for me. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
It is recommended that nothing be put between the car seat and the vehicle seat. The layer can affect how tight the install is; meaning it can give the person installing the seat a false sense of tightness. One layer can be done if it is a must. With that said, a rug is definately not on the list as acceptable.
A thin towel or kitchen drawer shelf liner cut to fit the bottom of the car seat (and neither should block the seatbelt path or in any way affect the locking mechanisms). It should be noted that there has been a few instances of kitchen drawer shelf liner melting, so use this knowing the possible risk. Indentations over time, usually resolve themselves.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I've never heard of a correctly installed seat messing up leather seats. Yes, there are going to be indents, but that happens in all cars, not just leather. Take the seats out for a time in warm weather and they'll recover in a few days.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks dallaschildren and thepeach! I appreciate the help. We'll take the rug out next time we use Grandma's car. To clarify, my mother would never in any way, shape, or form compromise the safety of her grandchildren. She keeps a car for 10+ years and is just trying to protect both her grandchildren and her seats. She will certainly be willing to remove it when I tell her it's not safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.