Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an RN at a small, pretty alternative hospital birth center and most of our mamas and babies sleep in the labor bed together postpartum. We nurses honor this beautiful practice, and if mothers are heavily medicated after surgery, we do recommend a bedside crib or the baby sleep with dad for obvious safety reasons, but in general we just give pointers on safe co-sleeping and leave it at that. Our manager is concerned that if our "risk management" group catches on, we will be forced to have the babies sleep in cribs like another hospital in our area had to do recently because of a baby fall, resulting in a fractured skull. I've been investigating solutions that can "cover our butt" legally to allow co-sleeping to continue, such as a patient educational handout on safe ways to co-sleep, or a policy, but I'm also afraid this will just call attention to such a controversial topic, even among the medical community. We do VBAC's, waterbirths, and have doulas on staff so our hospital isn't afraid to go outside of the norm with scientific data to back it up, but how do address this issue of co-sleeping is the question I have. What are other hospital birth centers doing, and how are you protecting the right to co-sleep?

·
Registered
776 Posts
I've coslept at 2 major hospitals in the Detroit area, w/o anyone batting an eye. Maybe it's b/c of how I set up the bed. Baby couldn't fall out and I couldn't roll. I'm not sure how you should go about doing this though. I think once it got out that you allow cosleeping and promote it, the higher ups will put a stop to it. It's a tough spot.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Parents could sign AMA... I'm shocked to read that your hospital allows cosleeping. Your manager is very correct about the legal risk being great. The RN simply has to say that she recommends the baby sleep in the crib... but she doesn't have to enforce it. I'd be interested if anyone has any recommendations. I just don't see how to protect yourself currently in the US... I think of the back to sleep campaign, etc

·
Registered
503 Posts
We signed a form saying we knew risks of baby sleeping in bed with us and we waive hospital of any wrong doing if something were to happen. I worked on a women's floor where we took postpartum mom's having medical issues. We just kept the paper on hand. I used it when my DS was admitted to the peds unit...

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I coslept with both of my newborns in the hospital for much of the time. Each birth was at a large teaching hospital (2 different ones in the area) and neither time did anyone bat an eye. Do the beds have side railings? I always just assumed that the railing would keep my baby in if all else failed....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts