Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just starting pg #2 here...

1st time i had protein aversions in the first trimester and couldn't stand the thought of eating eggs, fish, or even ice cream. cleared up in the 2nd tri.

this time my morning sickness is just getting under way and i think the protein aversion is coming back... will i really feel better if i force myself to eat protein?

btw, i had high blood pressure during pg that seemed to get better when i ate more protein, so i totally belive it's a good thing for me, but right now my body is saying NO.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Same here on the aversion (1st preg. and now this one). I look forward to hearing what others have to say. The only thing I do know is that forcing myself to eat protein doesn't make me feel better, only worse. I have found that in the middle of the day I can sometimes eat protein, and there are certain meals that I can eat better than others. So, I eat it when my body agrees, and otherwise I don't. I figure in a few short weeks I'll be able to eat more protein.

Christie

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
I have strong aversions to most proteins aswell (except peanut butter, which I crave and can't eat cause dd is allergic
) My midwife suggested I buy protien powder and add it to baked goods, smoothies and oatmeal or basically anything I can eat (I'm having a lot of aversions.)

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I was going to suggest smoothies too. You can use bagged frozen strawberries, a banana, and then some yogurt and milk or soymilk, a dash of vanilla maybe? The powders are good, you can add them to muffins, pancakes, etc that don't feel so overtly "protein" the way a plate of eggs does.

how about things like baked beans, sweet and not heavy?

Good luck, the food aversions are tough but usually do fade enough to get some good stuff into you.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
I can't eat protein in the first trimester, and from what I understand, it's not that big of a deal. Your body doesn't need it then the way it does in the second and third trimesters. Everytime I tried to eat any, I'd just throw up, and my last pregnancy turned out great anyway (this one still has a few months to go)--my twins were born full term at great weights and I didn't have any pregnancy complications.

I've heard that eating lots of protein can help with morning sickness, but for me my morning sickness really didn't let me eat much of it at all, so I never got to test that theory.

I hope you feel better soon!

Lex

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I do think that it's the second and third trimester that really matter protein-wise, so I don't think you should stress too much.

But protein is still very important to both you and your babe. I agree with the pp that smoothies are a very good way to get extra protein in. When I was having trouble with morning sickness I found that I could eat small cups of organic whole yogurt. This made me feel better just to have eaten something, and I knew it was very good for me and the baby, having lots of protein and fats for both of us.

I also second the nut butters and beans. If you find nut butters hard to get down while you feel queasy, you can add them into smoothies too - a banana and peanut butter smoothy is pretty good!

Also remember grazing - if you can only take a few bites many times a day, do that. Really, I think pregnancy is a time for grazing. It helps early when you're ill. It helps later when you're huge. It helps all nine months

·
Registered
679 Posts
I dont know anything "official" on this, but I've had bad protein aversions with both my last pregnancy and this one. I'm 16w and have been able to add some dairy and some seafood back in, but meat is still right out. I cant even look at it, especially raw. Nuts are a no-go also. Tofu seems to work okay, in small amounts, as does avocado and sometimes eggs.

I ate almost no meat until about 7 months with my DD, and she was 8 lb, very healthy, and an fast and furious L&D. So I dont think it did her any harm. I got worried after the first trimester but eating it made me puke so it didnt do any good to force it. I tried the protein powder but I dont know that it really helped. She did have a dairy sensitivity, though, and I wonder sometimes if that is from all the dairy I ate in desperate desire to get protein any way I could (though allergies run in both sides of the family so maybe not).

I am not worried about it this time... I am eating what I can, and trying to do as much variety as I can, but in the end eating is better than puking, even if its not ideal stuff. I figure my body knows what its doing, and I better go with it.

It is a huge PITA though, isnt it? I am ready to be over this, its such a pain. I hope it ends quickly for you, too, mama!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, i'll just keep doing what i can! i *am* curious, though, if there's anyone who feels that eating more protein did really help with their morning sickness.

my morning sickness has only been going on for two days, so i don't know how it's all going to unfold, but both times i've been fine for half an hour after waking, and then nauseated from then on until late afternoon. i have to wait 1 hour after waking up before eating, because of my thyroid meds... but maybe i need to call my endo and talk about that. everyone says that eating a bit upon waking can really help.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Interesting thread.

I know I need to be eating more protein, especially since I'm still nursing while pg, and I find that the days on which I get the 70 or so grams I should be eating I make more milk, so to me that says that someone's getting the shaft somewhere if I'm not eating enough protein.

But when m/s came on (all day for me, with some breaks here and there) the protein made me nauseous, and I find that even if I can get it down, only in small doses. So I'm grazing, trying to consciously eat protein at every grazing, even if it's a stick of string cheese or a few crackers with peanut butter. And I bought some wheat germ and try to sneak it in on myself in foods I won't notice its presence. I am a protein junkie and look at every label I can to see how much I've gotta eat to get "x" grams of protein.

Did you know that store-bought angel food cake has 3 grams of protein for 1/8 of a cake slice? So since I had nearly a quarter yesterday with my strawberries... mmmm!

The sweet baked beans sound hella good, though, I'm glad to have read that part of the thread. Out to the store today to pick up stuff to make that!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.