Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had swollen hands and feet for weeks and weeks. Well today my midwife mentioned that I have protein in my urine, and I did last week too. My blood pressure isn't a concern yet (117/70 or something), but I tend to have low blood pressure to start with. She said that she's not concerned at this point, but that if things continue she may need to induce me, since it could be preeclampsia.
greensad.gif
Thoughts? Experience? Please don't freak me out with scary stories...I already am. Thanks!
blowkiss.gif

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I don't have any scary stories, but I would suggest trying to be as proactive about it as you can. Up your protein by about 20 grams per day (ugh). Make sure that you're getting plenty of water, and also plenty of electrolytes (a couple of Emergen-Cs, or a couple of coconut waters each day). If you're not already doing some kind of magnesium supplement (in addition to what's in your prenatal), I'd add some pronto. I'd suggest the Natural Calm, as I think when it's already dissolved in liquid like that, it's better absorbed? But a pill form would probably also be fine.

I'm not saying these will prevent pre-eclampsia by any means, but if you're just teetering on that edge then perhaps these steps could help your body swing the right way.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I was in this situation last time with DS. I agree with everything Italiamom has said.

Any easy way to increase your protein ( and something I'm doing this time) is to use protein powder in a milkshake. I am now on a protein milkshake everyday, and with the powder (25g) a cup of milk (8g) and a cup of vanilla icecream (14g) I'm getting a lot more protein than I ever did at this stage last time, and so far no swelling and only one +1 ketones that was probably due to dehydration on my last prenatal visit. I've since started measuring out 64floz of water into a pitcher to make sure that I get that minimum amount every day. I tend not to drink enough, so the pitcher has really helped me with that.

I was given a pre-eclampsia blood screen last time which I actually passed, but failed the 24hr urine test.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBe View Post

I agree. Increase your protein a lot, drink more water, and electrolyte drinks. Hang in there.
yeahthat.gif

Shoot for 100+ grams of protein/day, about a gallon of water, salt to taste (don't be afraid of it!) and plenty of high-quality calories (whole grains, good fats, etc.). Your protein/water/sodium/calorie needs can increase in very hot/humid weather or if you have been expending a lot of energy in other ways. Best wishes!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
DDC crashing -

Your midwife should order a 24-hour urine collection. The dipstick tests are unreliable and can be wildly inaccurate, as they depend highly on how hydrated you are. Just saying you have "some" protein on a dipstick test is really no way of telling what's going on internally. Getting some baseline tests (the 24 hour specimen and PIH blood labs) are a much better indicator.

FWIW, consuming massive amounts of protein is not evidence-based and will not prevent preeclampsia. It can actually be taxing on already-stressed kidneys in cases of pre-e.

That said, up to 150mg of protein in a 24-hour urine sample is considered normal for pregnancy. I was dipping +2 with my second pregnancy and was well hydrated and at one point had 282mg of protein in my urine, which is 18 under the minimum diagnostic criteria for mild preeclampsia (though I did have very high blood pressure and other symptoms, though normal blood tests even when I had severe pre-e with both pregnancies).

So if you are dipping trace or +1, it's worth getting the 24-hour done (it's annoying but not a big deal, and is a very inexpensive test to run), but it's not nearly as concerning as if you were consistently dipping +3 or +4 (I was dipping +4 when I was spilling 6 GRAMS of protein in a 24-hour sample and had BPs of 170/100+ when my usual was 100/60).

Best wishes - I agree it's not reason to panic, but additional monitoring is not unwarranted IME.

www.preeclampsia.org is a wonderful resource.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I realized I read all this great advice and didn't respond. Thank you for all of your ideas and kind words.
grouphug.gif
I've been trying to drink a balance of Gatorade and water, and sleep as much as I can, and eat as much protein as possible. Unfortunately I've also had the runs and many protein-y foods make it worse. I'm hoping that my next appointment on Wednesday turns up good news or at least no worsening of symptoms. Thanks for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.