Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone,
(I hope I started this thread in the right place)

I have been lurking for a while now. I am a little worried about something recently (past 2 days) and decided to ask my questions here. I hate to think that this may be taken in a rude way, but I am not looking for "Just see your doctor" answers, please. ^_^ I will try to explain now.

I've had social anxiety since 13. I pretty much only speak to my parents and husband. Even going to my inlaws makes me a wreck. Anyway, I had a funny feeling and we bought a pregnancy test back in April. Woops- pregnant. Really wanted to wait 1 more year until we were out of this tiny 1 bdrm apt. but... Well, had to share the news with parents, and parents freaked out. MUST go see the doctor immediately!- was the reaction. Scared to death, this is what my husband finally helped me do at the hospital 2 months later.

They did their doctor-y shtuff and we found out I was 4 months pregnant. I was put on different insurance and told we must pick an OB from a list. Well, it took another 2 months for husband to coax (and parents to scare) me into going to a NEW place with new people I'd have to get used to.

Every OB that my husband called to set up an appointment for me, either could not find me on the insurance list, or would not complete the appointment without speaking to me on the phone first. My husband kindly explained that I cannot speak on the phone, I have severe social anxiety, it would be hard enough on us to get me to come in. He told me one woman became very snide and hung up on him. Anyway, I could go on about that forever.

HERE's the point. ^_^ (at last, huh?) I haven't been to a doctor since June and my due date is supposedly Nov. 30. I have NEVER been fond of doctors anyway, and frankly don't "believe" in them for natural processes such as this. But, I tested my urine for protein/glucose today, and it reads like 250mg glucose/ 30mg protein. I also have been having swelling in my right hand. (I'm not sure if it's *visible* swelling as much as sometimes I have a hard time "curling" my knuckles up)

I often hear that I am a Hypochondriac. 3 days ago, I guess I was "nesting" and pushed myself pretty hard now that I think about it. I did a LOT of picking up of the floor, moving furniture (pushing with knee) and assembled a crib we got from Ikea. Baby was very bouncy before this escapade and suddenly, he's not as much. He does respond kick when I poke/push at him so he seems ok.

So, with all that info (sorry
) in mind, here's my question.
Is it possible that my overexcertion caused a bit of this swelling and perhaps tired baby out? (btw, he has been moving a bit more normally as of today)
And am I just scaring myself with this preeclampsia thing? I am going to be very angry with myself if I force myself to go to the doctor and end up "stuck" with umpteen tests/visits and find out that I'm actually doing fine and normal.

I am also very afraid that if I do end up at the hospital for birth I will become pretty violent if they even come within 6 feet of me with a pair of scissors. Can they physically strap me down and FORCE me to take an epidural/episiotomy?

I am sorry for the length. I will try to end it now though I have much more. I'm not accustomed to proper forum "participation". I have to go now, but I will try to be back tonight to check for any helpful replies. So Thanks! in advance for any replies. ^_^

~Rebecca >^.^<

·
Registered
683 Posts
You could post in the Unassisted Childbirth thread as well- but this is probably a good place to get some answers. Sorry I don't really have any for you-
PreE- has to have 3 symptoms to be considered actual pre-e, but again, it is not something to mess around with. Signs include: headache/visual disturbances (like floaters when you get a migraine), edema, high blood pressure, protein in urine. Do you check your own blood pressure?
I was thinking that protein in urine can also be caused from not eating enough protein or drinking enough water (I believe- someone please correct me if I'm wrong!), but that would be your only symptom if that was the case. Since you have edema, you need to check the other things.

If you transport- no one can force you to do anything-- it is your body and you are in charge of it. Besides, you will have your husband there to back you up. But because of your anxiety issues, if you transport, your body will probably tense up and not let the baby out- this happens when a mother is not comfortable w/ the situation.
Try to think outside of yourself and just of what the baby needs. I'm sure it would be hard to be in a hospital w/ new people around you, but women have an amazing amount of strength when it comes to helping our children and I'm sure you can do more than you believe you can! And- you can have more confidence in the Drs. in an emergency, because then they are actually doing what they are trained to do- emergencies are what they go to school for.
Wish I could help more!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,

Thank you for your kind reply. So the swelling in the knuckles and the protein are two big signs of preeclampsia. And the blood pressure is the third biggie?

No, I haven't been doing my own blood pressure. Yet. I just called my husband and he is going to pick up a digital one on his way home from work. He just got some overtime pay so we're going to take advantage of that. So I guess I'll know by tomorrow what my blood pressure's doing. ^_^

I guess I am scared of going to the hospital secondly because of horror stories of doctors not heeding your wishes. I am very afraid once I enter, they'll have the right to do whatever they wish to speed things up and get to coffee break. I have horrible thoughts that they'll remove my husband from the room if I freak out or get physical if they attempt a cut or needle. My biggest fear is that they'll strap me down then send me to an institution afterward, because I just may hobble out if my body is violated.

Sorry for venting. Can't express these things to my mother. She already thinks I'm partially insane.
lol

~Rebecca >^.^<

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Hi Rebecca,

I just thought that I would add that it is rather common for women to have some swelling in their hands and feet, esp near the end of pregnancy. It is not the same as generalized edema that is associated with pre-eclampsia (when you notice that your face is really puffy/swollen....that is when I would start thinking eclampsia....). Make sure you are getting enough water. Also, protein in your urine is often a sign that you are dehydrated....you can also try increasing your protein and overall calories too.

Re: blood pressure....Be sure to take it when you have been sitting in one place for a while and are calm and relaxed. Do you happen to know what your non-pregnant blood pressure is??

Gotta go, chasing after my toddler.......hope that helps a bit.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Rebecca: I really hear your fear. I'm there, I'm exactly as bad as you. Luckily I was able to find midwives to handle my care and whatnot. So I guess I lucked out. But yes, I dont want to go to the hospital either. And I'm dreading a possible transport. The very thought of what a woman goes through during a hospital birth just sends shivers down my spine...and that's without the medication! Just the indignity of it all..Like I dont know those nurses from a hole in the ground and they want to put what WHERE?? no thank you.

I know if I'm forced into a hospital, I'd have to have a general anesthetic C-section. No ifts ands or buts...I wouldn't be able to mentally cope, and I dont have a "check out" Mechanism. I dont "check out" I go balistic. Violent...very very not plesant to be around. I even have to be sedated for pap smears that's how bad I am.

I hope everything is alright with you and you dont have Pre-E, and you get to totally stay at home in your own little nest.

Happy vibes to you.

·
Registered
372 Posts
This might have already been mentioned......(I just got home from a long birth, and reading before bed)...but remember that any vaginal discharge, which is totally normal during late pregnancy will also show up as protien. If you have a lot of pubic hair it is hard to get a total clean catch urine....
just a thought...
night....
Carla

·
Registered
852 Posts
Is it possible for you to find a midwife who could make a house call?

Is this social anxiety something that you are trying to move past? My concern being that you will soon be a mother and with that there will be someone else's needs that will be paramount to yours. This baby may require trips to doctors and will eventually need/want social interraction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.