Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I KNOW I need more protein, but meat is still SOOOOOOO disgusting to me, especially preparation of raw meat. I'm eating a couple of eggs a day, milk, about 1/2 cup of almonds a day, some cheese, and legumes are v. tasty (LOVE lentils--but it takes a LOT to get 20 gms of protein, and my appetite isn't great). I was using rice protein powder in a shake once a day but it started tasting foul. I prefer not to use much soy during pregnancy. But I think I'm missing the protein goals by a good 20 gms probably and I need to eat meat. I tend to have a bit of a blood pressure problem towards the end of pg and I know protein helps ward that off too. But we can't eat lunch meats, so what other meats can I eat that aren't too disgusting to prepare??? I guess I'm looking for any protein suggestions, meat or non, you mamas are enjoying!!

· Registered
440 Posts
plain GREEK yogurt has 10 grams of protein mix a little bit of honey and it tastes really great!

also Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wahhh) also is a AWESOME form of protein it's like a rice or a couscous

neither of those are meats or require a lot of intake.

good luck!

· Registered
2,840 Posts
Your doing really well for protein intake..I wouldn't worry about it too too much

-what about bean soups, I know its hot out but if you could stand a multi bean soup with noddles in it(to get that perfect protein) thinking minestroni style
-cant handle bean soups/ what about bean and pasta salads
-hummus and pitas for snack
-peanut butter sandwich
-beany chili
-mexican in general!
-lentil soups
-lentil sloppy joes

hth

· Registered
270 Posts
Well, I just found out that my hemoglobin levels are low-ish. They've (the lab/midwife/my chart) known this for awhile but somehow someone forgot to let ME know!

So I am upping my protein intake a bunch, this thread has been helpful. Also taking liquid cholorphyll in water. Trying to get some protein every time I eat and because I'm 33 weeks I can't eat big meals so every time I snack (really more like mini-meals) I try to have it include something with protein- nuts, hummus, yoghurt, cheese, peanut butter. I need to get some Greek yoghurt-- I guess it has more protein than my regular (plain) yoghurt? I also need to do quinoa, never had it, but seen some recipes out there.

I can just do a search on this...but does anyone know off the top of their head-- how many grams of protein does a serving of chicken or beef have? That is, is it a lot more than a serving of the alternative sources (nuts, lentils, etc)? So if I have a vegetarian meal am I short-changing myself?

· Registered
115 Posts
Daniturtle - A serving of chicken has 30-40 grams, beef 35-55g. Veg chili, tofu, soybeans, protein bars and powders and tempeh can come close, in the 20-40g range (& without the fat and cholesterol
so you are definitely not shortchanging yourself if you stick to veg sources. But I *think* (I definitely could be wrong here) that hemoglobin levels relate to iron, in which case an iron supplement should help, along with some vitamin C (calcium can actually inhibit iron absorption so if you are iron deficient you might want to keep iron and calcium rich food separate).

· Registered
440 Posts
just an FYI that iron supplement (unless it's PLANT IRON like Floradex- that's really good for you!) you might as well stop going um number two right now. That stuff (iron supplements from animal) is like the THING to block you up.
Just thought I would throw that out there...you're better off eating the steak and the chicken for your iron...cus I don't know what it is about the supps.

· Registered
297 Posts
I've been eating string cheese like crazy. I would never usually even think to buy string cheese but right now it is the first thing I eat, taking the package back to bed and everything. DH prefers that to the rye crackers for eating in bed.

· Registered
1,521 Posts
I sceond the whey protein. I would also recommend the hemp protein powder. I also do lots of eggs and cheese and beans(despite the gas...), and seeds/nuts. Smoothies have been floating me. If I don't eat every hour or two, I get ILL...so i've been packing in the protein as much as possible.

· Registered
321 Posts
I've recently discovered Brewer's Yeast when I came across this recipe for foods that help you lactate. Apparently if you have low milk supply, Brewer's Yeast is supposed to help. But I've found that not only does it have a great amount of protein, but it has vitamins, minerals, and all the essential amino acids that DH and I will be including this permanently in our daily diet.

I get the yeast flakes from Lewis Labratories and it has about 16 grams of protein for two tablespoons. It's got a nice nutty flavor and I mix it with my yogurt or sprinkle it on my salads and DH likes to eat it with his morning cereal.

· Registered
2,557 Posts
My personal philosophy is that if you eat a variety of fresh foods--basically whatever you are hungry for--you will get enough of everything. (Well, I do supplement with prenatal vitamins.) But as regards protein, if you crave eggs or milk or beans or nuts, go for it. If you don't, don't stress about it. I had a veggie first pregnancy, and I had no issues with anything whatsoever.

I thought others had great suggestions of foods to try. Brewer's yeast makes a fabulous sauce when cooked with garlic, oil, and some kind of milk, that can be used on top of pasta or potatoes or whatever you want.
:

So that's my advice.

But if you are craving meat and you don't have any issues with eating meat, I guess you can do that too.

· Registered
605 Posts
I am in a similar situation...need lots of protein b/c I tend to lose weight rather quickly after the baby comes and breastfeeding begins. My midwife suggested "The Bradley Diet". They gave a lot of suggestions on high (and healthy) protein sources. The pp's mentioned a lot of them already, I would add avocado and different nut butters to the list as well. And, I know we aren't *allowed* to eat deli meats, but I did with all three of my previous pregnancies and had no issues. I would limit it though. Hope this helps!

· Registered
1,029 Posts
I've been having my dh grill or bake a bunch of chicken breasts for me on the weekend and then I can eat that for a few days. I too don't really love the preparation part of it so much, but slicing an already cooked piece of chicken to put on a salad or a sandwich doesn't bother me.

I was craving lunchmeat for a while (which I normally don't eat) so I was adding it to my scrambled eggs. I would dice up some ham and fry it in the pan for a while before adding the eggs so that it was definitely cooked though.

I also had a few weeks where I ate my daily eggs on top of refried beans with cheese and salsa. Totally grosses me out now, but for a while there it really was yummy and tons of protein.

I've also been buying english muffins that are that Ezekiel (sp?) brand. They're made from lentils and a bunch of grains and they're really high in protein and really good with almond butter. I also like Barilla Plus pasta. It has something like 17 grams of protein per serving.

Good luck!

· Registered
1,772 Posts
You can buy deli meats without nitrate/nitrite and heat them and that is okay as far as listeria goes. Like, a hot turkey sandwich on toast, or a grilled cheese & turkey sandwich (heat the turkey to steaming first), or cut up the lunch meat and fry it in a pan before you add some eggs and/or potatoes or whatnot. Oh, I just remembered as a kid liking turkey and cheese in a pita pocket, heated so the cheese melted, and then add veggies.

Also, can you ask your husband to cook up some taco meat for you, and then you can use it for tacos, burritos, salads, chili, etc.

I'm not normally a big meat-eater, but many of my non-meat protein sources became very unappealing in my first few months of pregnancy, so I started eating some of the above.

Something I have always liked is salmon patties. I use canned salmon, flake it with a fork, add egg, bread crumbs or oats (I like oats) and spices to taste. I also like to add shredded carrots. Shape them into whatever sized patties you want (or make them meatball-style). You can fry these in a bit of oil and have them ready to heat up for sandwiches, also put it on a salad, eat it with eggs, and so forth. You could do the same with ground turkey (but cook it longer) and make little meatloaf patties to have on hand for lunch, snacks, etc.

I'm also a huge fan of lentils. And there was a stretch of time when all I could bring myself to eat was split pea soup.

If you're running out of ways to eat eggs, deviled eggs are tasty. My mom makes a good casserole by laying out tortillas in a baking sheet (cut the tortillas to fit), then you mix up a cup of yogurt, 6 eggs, a small can of diced green chiles (I like the roasted ones), a few handfuls of shredded cheese, and whatever seasonings you want. Pour the egg mix over the tortillas and bake at 350 or so until it is set and cooked through. It's like a Mexican quiche. You could, of course, eat regular ol' quiche, too.

Eggs are also really good in burritos, with salsa and cheese.

Oh, and cottage cheese has lots of protein, too.

· Registered
1,698 Posts
Roasted chickpeas?

I made some protein bars to snack on.

I got the recipe from a dieting coworker who is following the Eat-Clean diet (which funnily enough emphasize eating only whole grains and whole foods and always combining your carbs with a protein, the recipes are all made with "real" ingredients, definitely not a low calorie diet). Alot of the recipes in the cookbook are really high in protein.

The bars don't taste that great but they're really not bad and they're really high in protein. Maybe try googling it or check to see if your library has the cookbooks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.