Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HERS Foundation has a yearlong protest that will be coming to Southern California December 18-24, 2004 and will be at the corner of Marengo and State Street near USC.<br><br>
A play, "UNBECOMING", by Rick Schweikert, regarding the effects of hysterctomy on the life of a woman will be presented at the Secret Rose Theatre at 11246 Magnolia Boulevard in North Hollywood, California in the Noho Arts District.<br><br>
contact <a href="http://www.theprotestandtheplay.com" target="_blank">www.theprotestandtheplay.com</a> or 888-750-4377.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Wow. Thanks for the heads up Applejuice.<br><br>
I agree this is a widespread problem for women.<br><br>
A black supermodel from the 70s/80s (can't remember her name) was interviewed in People mag last year (I kept the issue) and regrets her hysterectomy. She just trusted the doctor.<br><br>
So sad.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Might be helpful to post some information on the fact that there are so many unnecessary hysterectomies and why. I don't know the statistics myself. I just remember about eight years ago, my then-housemate was an OB/GYN post-doc at UCSF. She and her doctor friends were talking at a party at our house, and one doctor was doing a OB/GYN rotation. She was talking about how many hysterectomies she was doing as a surgeon. She said something about a patient she had talked with that day, "...and she didn't even know how much this will mess up her sex life," or something like that. I said, "What are you talking about?" and the doctor said, "Well, the contracting of the uterus is a big part of orgasm for most women, so when the uterus goes, well, that's it." I said, "Well, why didn't you tell this woman what the consequences were?" She said, quite affronted, "That's not MY job, that's her doctor's. I'm just the surgeon." She had no sense of responsibility for fully informing the patient even though her hands were doing the cutting.<br><br>
Also, FYI, there are different ways to do surgeries. My friend Kate had breast cancer and had some lymph nodes in her arms removed. The surgery also severed nerves which resulted in a permanent and complete loss of sensation for much of her arms--a consequence that she had NOT been informed about. One day, she was in the waiting room of the group practice to see her doctor for a follow-up visit. Another patient was waiting to see the group's lone female doctor. They started talking about the surgery's aftereffects--but this other patient had no loss of sensation in her arms. She said, "Oh, my doctor told me that she takes an extra 45 minutes during the surgery to cut around the nerves, so that there would be no nerve damage, but that most doctors don't do that." Kate's physical disability that she would have to live with for the rest of her life was entirely preventable if the doctor had taken an extra few minutes to do a more careful surgery. I was OUTRAGED.<br><br>
I talked to my friend Lee Ellen who was in the medical office management field about the ethics of such a surgery, and she said that there is a "STANDARD OF CARE" in every procedure, and as long as the doctor does that, IT IS NOT HIS/HER RESPONSIBILITY TO FULLY INFORM THE PATIENT OF THE FULL RANGE OF CONSEQUENCES AND ALTERNATIVES. So my bottom line is: a) avoid doctors and hospitals and medications and surgeries as much as humanly possible, and b) if there is anything that requires a doctor or hospital or medication or surgery, it is each patient's personal responsibility to do as much research and talk to everyone s/he knows and ask them to ask everyone they know for any information, so that a fully informed decision can be made. Whenever I deal with anything medical, I put on my warrior hat and am fully cognizant that I am in a war zone. The wellbeing of my child and myself is not my doctor's only priority and they also do not necessarily hold the values that I do about nutrition, vaccination, alternative treatments, and informed consent, etc. etc. Be proactive, be an advocate! Protect your child, protect yourself!

·
Registered
24,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The surgery also shortens the vagina and severs nerves to the ovaries and can affect blood circulation to the other organs.<br><br>
So sad. My MIL had a hysterectomy for fibroids in 1943 at the age of 21! She became very depressed and began to drink -- this affected her ability to be a good mother...this affected my DH... the damage goes on past the hysterectomized patient.<br><br>
A side note:<br><br>
The Greeks believed that woman's feelings and emotions came from the uterus, so the Greek word for uterus has the same root as "hysteria"!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts