Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, how do you put a kid back in school? We've homeschooled for so long I have no clue. It will just be my dd, 13, and only if we can enroll her a year ahead, as a freshman. She's already completed 9th at home so I don't want to enroll her all the way back in 8th, but it wouldn't hurt to start hs with all the other freshmen.

I'm planning on testing her this summer and reinforcing anything we need to, tutoring if we must. I'm going to have her learn to write term papers, teach her how to study and take notes, and finish with a time limit, and write out a transcript myself.

We've been pretty relaxed up until the last year or so, so I anticipate her having a rough transition but I feel like its right for our family.

I am also looking at online ps, but it'll be ps nonetheless.

Any tips?

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Enrolling your DD in school isn't that big of a deal. You'll need to fill out a bunch of forms and prove your address. I'd contact the school ASAP because they tend to have a skeleton staff in the summer.

However, bumping her up a grade a very big deal. Lots of kids are working ahead of grade level, and advocating for a grade skip without proof that your child has mastered both the academic and study skills/organization/etc for the previous grade levels is a hard sell. She will be lacking the second category, so without having solid proof that she is completely off the charts in the first category, I don't know that you will be successful in advocating for a grade skip.

She's already completed 9th at home so I don't want to enroll her all the way back in 8th, .... I'm going to have her learn to write term papers, teach her how to study and take notes,

Check with your schools and find what they expect from the kids in high school. I have a former homeschool who is now in high school (and another one in college). Based on what you are saying she needs to learn, I suggest 8th grade to let her learn study skills before starting high school. They expect the kids to work very independently at a very high level. Poor grades in 9th grade will be part of her high school GPA and class ranking. Also check what courses are available in your middle school. My local middle school has Algebra I and Geometry, and honors sections for English, History, and Science.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 13 yo daughter as well who has been homeschooled her whole life and who wants to go to PS for high school. In our case, there is a specific performing arts charter HS she wants to go to. She only found out about it recently and she has missed the auditions, so we decided that she will do online PS for 9th and then aim to go to the charter HS for 10th. My daughter has been taking one course through the online school this year and she likes it.

I agree with the previous poster about reconsidering a grade skip. My rising 6th grader is going to take a few courses through the online PS, and I was surprised to find that they recommended 7th grade advanced math and science for a "rigorous 6th grade track." Their rigorous track has 7th grade students taking HS Algebra, Earth-Space Science, and foreign language and I believe this has become pretty standard throughout the country as there is a push to have students complete a lot of AP or CC classes before they graduate high school.

HTH!

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I have three kids who entered the school system between 8th and 10th grade, having homeschooled in a very relaxed way prior to that. We were able to get them all grade-skips with nothing more than our say-so that this was the appropriate level for them. But we were lucky to be dealing with an incredibly flexible Canadian K-12 public school where the enrolment was so small that (a) they were desperate for more students and therefore willing to do almost anything to entice my kids through the door and (b) they had a long tradition of multi-grade classrooms and individualized learning plans for almost everyone. My kids adapted to the format and environment pretty seamlessly. They had always motivated, organized and implemented their own learning, and given that they were motivated to make school work for them and were optimistic about the opportunities it presented, their work ethics and executive function skills held them in good stead.

So I will say that our experience has shown that it is possible to move into the school system at an advanced level. But I think our experience with the grade skip issue is extremely unusual, and almost un-heard-of in a US larger high school context.

Miranda

·
Registered
2 Posts
Each school district will have their own policy, so it is best just to ask. It may be that you just need to tell them what grade your child is in and that's all. I believe the reason it is so difficult to do a grade skip in the US is tied to the standardized testing. They would rather have a child officially in 7th grade but doing all 9th grade work so that when it comes time to take the standardized test, the child will likely ace the 7th grade test and bring more funding.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. At this point if I can't put her in 9th I'm not going to do it at all. Holding her back will only make it worse I think. And the junior high here is not good at all. The HS seems to be great though, lots of options for tailoring it to your child. Less conveyor belt.
I will contact the school next week and I've already sent for info about connections academy. So we have both options.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm also thinking of enrolling both my kids into school next year (one being 13) and am also interested to know what the transition would be like. Thanks to everyone who replied into this thread about their experiences and perspectives!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts