Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have psoriasis (I never know how to spell it) on my scalp and it has been really good for a while but it has recently flaired up again (maybe from the stress of living with my mom for the past 3 weeks since our flood). Anyways, the shampoo I used to use for it was a tar shampoo...nutragena t gel i think. It worked really well, but I'm not too fond of using those strong chemicals on my body. Does anyone know of a more natural treatment that would work? I really appreciate any suggestions, thanks in advance

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi. I share your whoas. I know what you mean about the tar shampoos, but I still occationally have to use them. I am bf now, so I really TRY to stay away. Here's something that helps: I apply mineral oil to scalp and let it sit for at least 15 minutes (longer if possible). Then just shampoo out. it seems to soften the scalp. Great to use just prior to haircuts if this bothers you.

Let me know how it works or if you discover another alt. treatment.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
My youngest ds (8 years old) has this too...I'm at my wits end trying to deal with it! We tried the t-gel shampoo and it didn't seem to help. He's a competitive swimmer so he's in chlorinated pools about 5-6 hours a week - not sure if this makes it worse. He does shampoo after swimming. I'm desperate for some success stories...I'll be watching this thread!
:

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I've had psoriasis since I was an infant. I did try the tar shampoos when I was a kid, but it totally fried my hair. So I stopped. And haven't used anything since. Really, what's best for me and my skin is not bathing often. Yes, that's always fun to admit and it does make me a little self-conscious
: But I am not a stinky dirty person, I swear
I shower a couple times a week in the winter, usually 3-4 times in the summer when my psoriasis isn't as bad. I only need to wash my hair every three days anyway. But showering too much in the winter will dry out my skin even more and I have to slather myself in lotion (shea butter is lovely though.) Even when slathered in lotion, my skin feels tight for the rest of the day.

Anyhoo, I tend to go along my merry way. If my scalp gets a little too flaky, I'll grab dh's dandruff shampoo, that seems to keep it under control. There's no cure and for me, it's not worth it to try all the different drugs and creams and such. I did once and saw no difference.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've had amazing success with using hemp products - it's cleared my psoriasis right up. I don't get it on my scalp but on my hands and feet. Using hemp soap has made it 100% go away.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Polkadots
I've had amazing success with using hemp products - it's cleared my psoriasis right up. I don't get it on my scalp but on my hands and feet. Using hemp soap has made it 100% go away.
The Body Shoppe has a hemp lotion - they can give you free samples of it to try out at home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.