Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"More women getting plastic surgery on their genitals" thread in News and Current Events:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=298652

Thought you might be interested.

And, Frank, I know you probably don't venture over to Talk Amongst Ourselves, but there is a woman there who posted that you saved her son.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by A&A
And, Frank, I know you probably don't venture over to Talk Amongst Ourselves, but there is a woman there who posted that you saved her son.
That's always nice to hear and I do get quite a few PMs giving me credit. I appreciate every single one of them but I don't do it alone. If it were just me, I wouldn't be very convincing. It's only with the common voice that these "savings" are accomplished. I set off on this mission years ago to save boys and it is only because we have strength in numbers that it is possible. A big
to everyone here who makes it possible!

Frank

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
A&A: which thread was it?
Don't worry, girlndocs, I won't derail the thread.
Sorry, but I find your post mildly offensive, as though we from this board will contaminate the other boards.
:

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
has it become so regimented in 'tao' (i haven't been in ages, no time) that legitimate digression in a conversation is called 'derailing' & threads are pulled for chatting inclusive of anything other than the absolute original topic, with no namecalling, no nothing, that can get a thread pulled anywhere else? is this a ghetto here, the only place on the board where the intact viewpoint is to be respected?

i am a little surprised; i guess we are to be grateful & stay in our box? i never could stand the whole 'hey, this is my thread, & you are not allowed to discuss' phenomena. talk to yourself if you want that limited of input, don't post it on the 'net. if this is what girlndocs is talking about.

seriously, threads have been pulled because of discussing a related subject? who is complaining about that? i LOVE when threads go everywhere. i personally am irritated when they turn into 'ok, i'm eating pizza!' 'i'm getting the beer.' 'i have ice cream for dessert!' silliness, but i wouldn't officially *complain* about it. some people enjoy that stuff, it's cool. i'm just not one of them. which is probably why i haven't had time for TAO in years. :LOL

suse

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Suse and njeb, the thread A&A linked to is not in TAO, it is in News and Current Events. It is a thread originally about cosmetic labiaplasty, and yes, it *would* be derailed if it became the site of a huge debate about whether RIC is comparable to female genital mutilation.

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
ahhh.

'yes, it *would* be derailed if it became the site of a huge debate about whether RIC is comparable to female genital mutilation.'

er, why? having read enough 'it just looks better!' quotes in my lifetime from both proponents of infant circumcision & fgm, to deny the connection that is 'people made to feel that their genitals are ugly'... is it a 'derailing' for fear of starting 'circ is bad!' 'no it's not!' 'yes it is!' 'no, it's not!'? i mean, aren't we adult enough to mention a parallel without it turning into a schoolyard brawl? (and if anyone ought to be twitchy about discussing it on the board, it should be the proponents of ric, not us.)

if anyone feels 'derailed', after all, all they have to do is gently ask 'hey, can we get back to topic?' what's the big deal?

i am uncomfortable with self-appointed censors. i try to work within the posting guidelines of mdc as i have voluntarily chosen to be here, but to be told to stay off a particular subject as though we were not full-fledged members of the community; as though we had a peculiar defect that disenfranchised us from permission to speak to the community at large... yes, i find that 'mildly offensive', as njeb carefully put it. it's not a separate mainstream board that we are to not mention to avoid inciting trolls, kwim?

suse

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by njeb
A&A: which thread was it?
Doesn't it link from my post above?

Hmmmm.........to me any discussion of genitalia is a discussion of genitalia. I don't see any "derailing" whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Oops! I should have been more specific. Sorry.

I meant the thread in TAO where a woman posted that Frank saved her son. I was just curious which one it was. I tried looking for it myself but was unable to find it.
By the way, I did look at that thread. I am appalled that women would have cosmetic surgery on their genitals. How many of them will have reduced sensation or will be unable to have orgasms because of this surgery?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I've sat here for 30 sec wondering if what I'm about to post is derailing.... haha

I think it's a sad day when a woman would do that for elective surgery (I'm not talking a major deformity or injury here) By the time someone is up close & personal with the asymectric-illity (Oh yea, I made that one up, but you get the idea) of my labia, I would expect them to be interested enough to not let a minor difference interfere with any..... um..... activity. If someone is that uptight, I would think that stoping the "activity" with that person would be much easier than the surgery for gods sake!

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
As a child, I REALLY enjoyed pulling on on my labia. I had a tendency to only tug on the inner right one and thought it felt great. As a result, it is now noticeably longer than the other, hanging below my outer labia sometimes. I need to go find a plastic surgeon.

I think I should have my right inner labia shortened.

HEY!!! I 'restored' my labia with manual tugging, Frank!!! :LOL

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
You're too much Jaclyn!
:

I have way, way more experience with the female genitalia than any man should have as a result of becoming sexually active at the begining of the sexual revolution and being single most of my adult life. As a result, I have seen most every variation of the female genitalia and I can't imagine any guy giving a hoot about any of those variations. The beauty is not in the perfect symmetry or how long the labia are or any of those other esoteric measures that these women seem to be concerned with but instead in it's perfect form for function. That is to make it easy for the two partners to assemble the parts in a totally dark room, for them to keep them together in what should be an awkward position, for them to both recieve enjoyment from the act and to make the miracle of reproduction possible.

Of all of the variations I have seen, I have only been shocked once. It was one that had shockingly bright red hair. I had seen many by that time and it was a very pleasant shock in it's difference. I decided immediately that I liked it! I wonder why we think we need cookie cutter genitals? I see beauty in our variations and if we all were identical, I think it would be very boring. I was just talking to a friend about a girl I went to school with. It seemed that every other guy found her alluringly beautiful and I just didn't see anything particularly attractive about her. It wasn't that she was ugly or unattractive, she just wasn't more than average attractive to me. What if all women looked just like her? Who would there be for me? Would I be relegated to living with a woman I didn't find particularly attractive? On the other hand, there was a woman in my past who I found incredibly attractive in all respects (except her attitude) that I still occasionally pine for today. Would I have kicked her out because her labia were too long or asymetrical? Not on your life!

Frank

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by njeb
Oops! I should have been more specific. Sorry.

I meant the thread in TAO where a woman posted that Frank saved her son. I was just curious which one it was. I tried looking for myself but was unable to find it.

Oh, it was titled something like, "What brought you here? What keeps you here?"

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think the idea of this topic correlates to our American ideas of beauty and perfection that seems to be at it's height right now.

How many plastic surgery, make me into "the swan", "I want to look like Carmen Elektra, etc" or some other BS is on TV right now?

I have one daughter with a (treated) eating disorder and another one with body image issues. Because of society, my daughters compare themselves to unrealistic beauty. Airbrushed pictures in magazines, breast augmentation running rampant, FAKE perfection.

My daughter's happen to be normal, healthy girls, not overweight in the least, but see themselves not as a whole but as with flawed body parts. I blame this on society. I, or nobody else, have ever critisized their body parts so this is my only conclusion.

I try not to focus on this but I fear my ED daughter relapsing at any time.

That said, IMO, the idea of comparing ADULT females making decisions about alterations to their genitals does not in any way, shape, or form compare to infant male circumcision.

Pam

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
adults making body mod decisions in one way is dissimilar, but it still stems from the 'omg, genitals are ugly' phobia that causes these same grown women to insist on cutting off their boy's foreskins. to deny any correlation is misguided.

it is no different than a grown man deciding to get *his* genitalia cut, because some woman made a stupid comment. he is not thinking of the vast majority of the world's women who find intact penises perfectly attractive penis-wise; no, he is freaked out because of one (or more) brainwashed woman who says 'ewwww.'

the insecurity of some intact american males is directly caused of the propensity for cutting the majority of american baby boy penises, leading many american women to think of mutilated as 'normal'.

an acceptance of cutting labia to make them more 'acceptable', more 'normal-looking', can only lead to bad things. (wouldn't it be your worst nightmare, if instead of phasing out ric for boys, it started being acceptable in this culture for girls as well? stranger things have happened.) any industry that promotes adult insecure women to cut off their normal non-diseased labia is bad. sorry. and it *is* being promoted by the physicians who do this.

there is a fine line here, regarding 'rights' & whose body etc. do i think you have the right to pierce your labia? you betcha. do i think a dr has the right to profit from michael jackson's mental illness by doing THAT to his nose, for profit? no. whatever doctors that pandered to his problems should have their licenses stripped. 'do no harm.'

any woman that wants her labes cut needs to be given a copy of betty dodson's 'sex for one', with its beautiful drawings of a myriad of female genitalia, & any man that has complained to her (not that i have ever heard men complaining, bless them) needs to be relegated to the same circle of hell reserved for women who said 'ewwww, cut that foreskin off.' (yes, i am thinking of that horrible dr on 'bullshit!')

oh, & http://www.bettydodson.com/sex41pag.htm

suse

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kavamamakava
I dont see how evening up labia can cause a problem with orgasm.
What if nerves are cut in the process?

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by suseyblue
adults making body mod decisions in one way is dissimilar, but it still stems from the 'omg, genitals are ugly' phobia that causes these same grown women to insist on cutting off their boy's foreskins. to deny any correlation is misguided.

:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by suseyblue
susey:

I understand what you are saying and agree with a lot of what you said. However, an adult making decisions about HER genitals and her making decisions about someone elses genitals are not the same.

Regardless of similarity for the reasons a mother would chose to circumcise her son or alter her own genitals, I still do not think the acts themselves are comparable.

Some of the reasons WHY yes, but not the act itself.

(ITA on the Michael Jackson doctor! Who would do that to somebody? Ew!)

Pam

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.