Mothering Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
DSD got her period at 11 but...
She began developing breasts and armpit and pubic hair at age 9.
She's short when she was 9 she was 4'4 with an 34 A cup bra, DH was terrified, and also I don't think the 100lbs thing is true, DSD got her period at 11, and she was around 65 lbs and 4'7, she've never been 100lbs, the more she have been is 88lbs(she's a dancer, that's why she's so thin) and when I got my period at 12 I was around 80lbs.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I got my period when I was eleven, and had stopped growing before that. I feel that this robbed me of childhood, made my breasts grow larger than they should have (or than I need!), stunted my growth, and that it is entirely preventable.

If you are up for hormones/doctors, Lupron will stave off puberty and make sure she keeps growing. They can also do bone growth charting, and sometimes you can argue that as a way to get the hormones that prevent your daughter's body from changing before it is truly matured. My brother got the benefit of these hormones, I didn't, and while I agree it is probably environmental, now that she's started changing and since there is no definitive cause, seems a bit late to trust to diet changes and such to stop it.

I really hope that whatever happens, she can be happy with the body she gets. I know that I blame a lot of my self-image issues on the too-rapid sexualization of a body that was still inhabited by a geeky and bookwormish little girl.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My daughter is 10 and when she was about 8 1/2 I noticed she started getting little breast "buds" and she complained about sweating. So, I took her with me to pick out some little training bras and deoderant. I was worried that she would be embarassed, but she seemed pretty receptive to it. So far she doesn't have any hair that I'm aware of, but it seems like there isn't necessarily any specific order that things happen in.
I worry that she will start menstruating soon, and it seems too young , but I don't think there is anything you can do to delay it.
I have heard of cases where girls were very young (5 or 6) and they started puberty and a doctor was able to give some sort of medication to stop the process. But I think the normal age range now to begin puberty is between 8 and 12.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
My DD turned 11 in Jan. She started growing hair under the arms already. Has a lil rash but I think its cause she doesnt wash her face correctly. There is no stopping it now. My doctor said there was still time lol.but that was a few months ago.
Watch out thought the mood swings are coming. My DD has such a attitude now its so hard on me. The doctor told me normal range is from 10-up now. Any sooner is to soon. So we are working on her issues and needs. But there is no stopping puberty just trying to cope with it lol...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Frankly I don't remember when everything happened for me, except that I didn't get my period until I was almost 15.

My oldest is 11 and skinny as a rail. However she's starting to get breast buds. I recall reading somewhere that breast budding is usually one of the first signs of puberty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When does puberty begin? My dd just turned 10. This year her face has started breaking out a little. She showed me tonight that she is starting to grow hair in her armpits. What is next?? I'm trying not to freak out, but i thought we had another 2-3 years before puberty started. Is there anyway to put this off a couple of years, such as cutting back on drinking milk?

But, seriously, what is next and when?
Omg im sooo many years late- but I just wanted to say I felt so much better reading this!!!! My daughter went through all u said at 7. Period at 8, c cup at 9. Thanks for making me feel better!:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don‘t believe there is anything you can do to stop what is bound to happen. My daughter got her first visit from Aunt Flow when she was 11; I was 10 when my flow began. Of course, knowing that my daughter may start around the age that I did, I started preparing her before hand. I would start talking to her about Aunt Flow since she was about 8/9 years old; I didn’t want her to freak out like I did when I was young. No one prepared me so 10 year old me was so scared when I went to the bathroom at school and thought I was dying. My advice to mothers out there is talk to your daughters about what is to come…trust me they will appreciate it. My daughter was so chill when she got her Flow and I definitely believe I helped with that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don‘t believe there is anything you can do to stop what is bound to happen. My daughter got her first visit from Aunt Flow when she was 11; I was 10 when my flow began. Of course, knowing that my daughter may start around the age that I did, I started preparing her before hand. I would start talking to her about Aunt Flow since she was about 8/9 years old; I didn’t want her to freak out like I did when I was young. No one prepared me so 10 year old me was so scared when I went to the bathroom at school and thought I was dying. My advice to mothers out there is talk to your daughters about what is to come…trust me they will appreciate it. My daughter was so chill when she got her Flow and I definitely believe I helped with that.
Yes! have lots of talks well before you need to. Take all the shame and secrecy out of it and treat it like the normal natural thing it is

21 - 29 of 29 Posts