Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here experiencing pubic pain, especially when standing on one leg (like when you put on your pants), rolling over, getting in and out of the car, bending over...walking? Mine is very uncomfortable and am looking for some relief. I have found conflicting information though, some people say walk, some people say don't. Some say chiropractic treatment helps....

Just want to know if there is something I can do, or do I have to just wait it out and hope it comes together after birth?

·
Registered
566 Posts
This is happening with me too. If I am on my feet too much I am really suffering and standing on one leg when getting dressed is getting sore. I am planning to see my chiro this week to see if she can help. I think doing some basic stretching will help too, sit cross legged or stretch your legs apart to relieve the ligaments. I can also recommend sitting on an exercise/birthing ball, much more cushioning on the sore areas!

·
Registered
121 Posts
oh me too! It is horrible. Getting dressed, putting on my shoes, drying after my shower, or just getting up off the floor. Once it starts to hurt, it hurts the rest of the day. I thought it was just because this was my third baby. I didn't know it had a name. When I am on my feet more, it is much worse. Good luck to you for the remainder weeks! I find trying to get off my feet and prop them up helps.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
I had it with my last two pregnancies, and it's starting to get bad with this one, too. In my experience, walking and other exercise makes it worse. I'm just going to take it as easy as possible and try to not let it get too bad. It goes away almost immediately after birth, thank goodness!

·
Registered
955 Posts
I've been dealing with this for about 6 weeks now. It was so bad in the beginning that I could barely walk. I've been seeing a chiro and after my 4th adjustment, I'm feeling much better. Not 100%, but better. My chiro suggests sitting in such a way that keeps the hips open whenever possible...not necessarily cross-legged, but with the bottoms of your feet touching. Pelvic tilts, hanging out on an exercise ball...those help. So does prenatal yoga.

Also, try to sit down to do things like put pants on, shoes, and when rolling over/getting out of the car, try moving both of your legs together.

HTH...I'm still pretty sore by the end of the day, but I'm not in agony like I was. I just get more excited for bed than probably any other time in my life

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yes that's exactly what I've been experiencing, putting on my pants in the morning is the worst. I think I'm going to try some prenatal yoga stuff but I'm up for anything that'll help relieve the pain.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I have it too and chiro adjustments help a fair bit. I'm normally quite sore for a couple days after seeing the chiro but after that it gets better.

One exercise that seemed to help for a while was lying on my back with knees raised (as if you were going to do sit ups), put your feet together, place a cushion between your knees and squeeze it for 10 seconds. Repeat but instead of having your feet together, have your toes touching and your heels apart (feet pointing inwards) and then again with the heels touching and the toes apart (pointing outwards).

I hope that makes sense...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I had a hard time with this in my first pregnancy, was fine with my second, but have been having intermittent problems with this one. I find that my prenatal yoga video helps a lot- but if I am actively having the pain, I don't do the floor poses (like Table pose) that have me on all fours- with one leg extended.

Pelvic rocks and squats seem to ease the pain if I do them gently and don't force beyond my comfort level.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
This will be my third pregnancy now with it. Everything was out of alignment so badly last time I could barely walk my third tri without excrutiating pain. It took a few weeks after birth for everything to go back like it was though this last time my pubic bone would still rub sometimes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
jjb-
I am a Physical Therapist, and have found muscle energy techniques that we use to be helpful. These involve using muscle contractions to pull the pubic bones into alignment: no forceful manipulation, which can be more painful, and risks injury with all our ligamentous laxity during pregnancy!
Of course, being all loosey-goosey, it is easy to move wrong and get everything out of wack again. Avoid any kind of lunge, or 1/2 kneel- a squat is better. Sit to put on pants, log roll in bed. If you walk for evercise, take shorter strides, and avoid hills. Swimming is really nice, but still avoid anything with "legs akimbo"-- in that vein, kneeling or standing for sex helps, too- missionary is the worse position.
I will start wearing an SI belt for this pregnancy again pretty soon, as I can feel my pubic symphysis shifting, sometimes even clunking! The SI belt fits like a wide belt inside your clothes, below the waist, and above the pubic area, giving gentle compression to prevent excessive pubic motion. It didn't prevent the pain entirely for me, but seemed to help some.
About those Muscle Energy Techniques (MET)- I can't give a simple list to do, since each person may be out of alignment in their own way, and one correction may help with one person, hurt another (like one half of pelvis is rotated forward- you need to contract muscles to pull it back instead of further forward). However, doing a GENTLE pillow squeeze between the knees in a seated or lying position can be helpful, as can pelvic tilts on hands and knees. I would just really caution pregnant women away from quick thrust manipulation, as this best treats areas of reduced movement, like when a joint is extra tight. That is NOT our problem right now, and manipulating hypermobile joints can result in joint instability problems that last longer than the pregnancy.
Not just because it is my own calling that I love, but a good physical therapist can really help! She/he will show you what exercises to do for your condition, and how to reduce pain during pregnancy, and not keep you coming back for many unnecessary manipulations.
-Jennifer

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks mamas for all your advice and input. I overdid it today with being out and about and could barely walk out of the store
Resting seems to make things better. Sorry to all you mamas going through it...it is no fun!

Jennifer-can I buy the SI belt online somewhere?

~Joli

·
Registered
935 Posts
I am getting regular (twice a month at least since about 10w) chiro care and that's made a big difference for sure. But the thing that really fixes it, I mean almost 100% eliminates the pain is this taping technique she taught me, which leads me to think that a lot of relief can come from improvements in posture.

Prior to learning this and getting the tape to have at home there were nights that I was not able to stand to clean up after dinner. Really bad.

I have this tape:
http://www.kinesiotaping.com/xcart/p...cat=250&page=1. It's hypoallergenic (apparently a lot of people develop allergies to tape) and body heat warms the adhesive. It stays on after showering, and lasts about 3 days per application.

There are instructions about using it on the site, but not for pregnancy. I make a Y by cutting a half-length of tape in half, leaving the other half of length intact. The bottom of the Y goes to my sacrum and the arms of the Y go on either side of my spine. I have to have help to apply this part. I lean over forwards while it's applied with a slight amount of tension. The total length goes from my sacrum to about the middle of my back.

Then on my belly, standing upright I anchor two strips at my public bone and wrap them in either direction up and around one on one side of my belly, the other on the other side. They go up just under my rib cage. Also slight tension.

I don't know how exactly it works but I have no pubic pain the days I wear the tape.

HTH somebody.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jojobean View Post
Thanks mamas for all your advice and input. I overdid it today with being out and about and could barely walk out of the store
Resting seems to make things better. Sorry to all you mamas going through it...it is no fun!

Jennifer-can I buy the SI belt online somewhere?

~Joli
Sorry it took me a bit to get back here. There is a nice picture of an SI belt at http://www.isokineticsinc.com/catego...oduct/sg_08122
You probably won't need a stabilization pad. I have one very similar to this one, and I think I just browsed for the cheapest I could find online. You really don't need anything fancy, but that support can really help.
Good luck!
-Jennifer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.