Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were looking to possibly donate our baby's cord blood to a public bank or research facility (not the private Cord Blood Banking companies), but I'm not having any luck. Web searches turn up two specific CA hospitals, but you have to give birth there. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know if you will read this since it is so far back, but we just donated ours through this company: http://www.cryo-intl.com/ They will come pick it up from any hospital, just be sure to contact them before you are 34 weeks and inform your doctor of what you want to do!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am not sure if you can collect from a home birth, if you are having a midwife there, then perhaps she can do it, but I would call the company and ask or talk to your midwife. I am sure they will pick it up from your home, I think the problem might be in the actually collection of the cord blood.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just a thought about cord blood. I asked my midwife about banking it, and she said, well, if cord blood is so fabulous, my guess is that there's a reason for your body to produce it for your baby at birth. When my daughter was born, the midwife laid her on my belly until the cord stopped pulsing, it was at least five or ten minutes. She then stripped the blood down the cord toward my daughter, before she cut the cord. My daughter was born in blessedly perfect health and since I had no meds during the 24 hours of back labor, she was able to nurse right away.

Later, I read that the cerebral palsy rates in this country went up radically after doctors began to medicalize birth, and began cutting the umbilical cord right after birth. The cord blood is hyperoxygenated and helps the baby in the few minutes of transition between an aquatic (amniotic fluid) environment to an air breathing environment. Babies whose cords are cut can suffer oxygen deprivation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.