Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. We're coming up for a visit this weekend for a few days and I was wondering about the appropriateness of public ECing in Vancouver. When we were last up (I was pregnant, last summer) we saw a couple take a newborn out of a restaurant and she went on a parking strip tree. Very cool.

Normal or not? Because if so, hmm... am I thinking this will be an easier trip than expected. In Seattle, not so normal or acceptable.

Now, I just gotta go find the baby legs...

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Elimination Communication. Helping babes to learn not to pee in their diapers but in the toilet (or as the case may be - outside!).

I know it's fairly common up there, I saw tons of EC classes and support groups advertised in one baby store...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Quote:
It is "elimination communication," a practice that has spawned books, websites and a diaper-free support group with chapters in 14 countries, 38 U.S. states and 10 Canadian cities, including Toronto, Halifax and Vancouver.
I would think that if one of the few books on EC was written by a BC native (Ingrid Bauer of Saltspring Island, BC wrote Diaper free! The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene) that it would be acceptable. As long as you pick up after you DC it should be fine.

Quote:
There are at least four such support groups. One, Diaper-Free Baby, has chapters in 14 countries, including a chapter in Vancouver with more than 50 members.
Try contacting someone from DFB Vancouver and see what they say...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DFBvancouver/

LP

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I heard Ingrid Bauer talk...but she lives in the countryside (and sadly, not so many of her anecdotes were applicable to living in a big city).

Well, I'll bring the BBLP just in case and maybe contact one of the groups you listed. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
The couple of people I've seen do EC around here (they're MDC mamas too!) use the BBLP, especially if they're in a park or a public place. I don't know what they do in washrooms though, eg. in the sink or toilet.

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
It's probably not considered normal, but I let dd pee outside when we are out and I am not near a washroom, and I have never had anyone give me a hard time. If anything, I just get a weird look, or I get comments about how 'neat' it is. I always take her to a tree or bush or to the edge of the park - away from where I think people would sit or have their kids play. Only once have I had to pick up an unexpected poo

·
Registered
652 Posts
I let DD pee on bushes (when she will, she gets distracted by the leaves) but I definitely try to be discreet. I dunno, one of the things I love about BC is that it seems like you just do your thing and people don't care one way or another. Maybe I'm wrong and people are all discussing me and my strange parenting behind my back...
:

Screw what people might think. It's so super-cool that you're ECing!

ETA: I'm just realizing that you're probably already up here and my words of wisdom are too late. So... how did it go? Did you cause any traffic mishaps or blood pressure issues with the locals?

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
i do it..
i take her pee wherever i am (as long as there is green).. ive never had anyone say anything but ive had some dirty looks.. i figure.. if someone woiuld let their dog pee there. then it should be okay for my kids.
i dont usually take our potty with us out of the house.. its just too much to carry. i wouldnt worry about it too much!

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
i second this statement...

Quote:
Screw what people might think. It's so super-cool that you're ECing!

·
Registered
522 Posts
but I just want to echo everyone else's sentiments that it's OK to EC in public. I pick up poop (only had to once), and take DS to pee away from where I think kids might play (ie. to the base of a tree). If dog's can do it, why not babies?

susie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.