Mothering Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should public health and education be linked? Is it reasonable to demand compliance before education is available?

One argument against linking the two is : with more children attending public schools, more provax information can be presented to them, possibly improving vax usage in the long run.

What other arguments are there, for and against?

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
It's nothing personal, but I don't think that we're allowed to have a candid conversation about this topic. It's an unfortunate MDC policy, but nobody is allowed to argue for the merits of mandatory vaccination.

I want to think that if I were rabidly, rigidly pro-vaccine, I still wouldn't support legally linking the two.

·
Registered
18,826 Posts
Yes, it is unfortunate that in the US education has been linked to vaccination status.

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Should public health and education be linked? Is it reasonable to demand compliance before education is available?

One argument against linking the two is : with more children attending public schools, more provax information can be presented to them, possibly improving vax usage in the long run.

The children receiving the vaccine are not in school yet, so I am not sure how they would benefit from that pharma-sponsored indoctrination.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I want to think that if I were rabidly, rigidly pro-vaccine, I still wouldn't support legally linking the two.

That would be me lol ;)

But I also think there's no reason to believe that kids in a public school are being exposed to a pro-vaccine agenda. I don't think I ever, ever talked about vaccines in school until at LEAST high school and maybe not until college, and by then I am pretty sure kids have firm ideas on their/their family's position on things like this. My kids haven't heard anything about vaccines at school certainly.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
One thing that we really need to put a stop to is the requirement of vaccines for illnesses that are NOT casually communicable in classrooms.

@Deborah quoted a Rhode Island health official in another thread who said that they needed to treat the HPV vaccine like all other vaccines. Um, no. Just no. Unless nine-year-olds are routinely having sex at school, I'm not buying it. I hate this black-and-white thinking. :irked

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Another thought is that these vaccine mandates are creating a slippery slope more toward the government sector raising our children for us.

When I went to enroll DD in public school a couple of years ago, I saw a note in the enrollment paperwork about the Kindergarten milk program. (In the U.S., schools hand out free milk to the 5 and 6-year-olds).

I had intended to opt her out of that daily dose of RBGH chocolate milk. But the note said that doing so required a letter from the doctor certifying a dairy allergy---in other words, a medical exemption. :duh

I sh#t you not. No "philosophical exemptions" were allowed from vegan families or parents who use organic milk. The school secretary went on this tirade about how milk is good for the kids. You know, public health and all that. :eyesroll

Suffice to say, DD ended up getting a spot on the waiting list at another school that didn't blink an eye when I packed a separate drink for snack time. That saved me the hassle of getting into a battle with the school district. I'm guessing that some other poor parent had to take that on.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Another thought is that these vaccine mandates are creating a slippery slope more toward the government sector raising our children for us.

When I went to enroll DD in public school a couple of years ago, I saw a note in the enrollment paperwork about the Kindergarten milk program. (In the U.S., schools hand out free milk to the 5 and 6-year-olds).

I had intended to opt her out of that daily dose of RBGH chocolate milk. But the note said that doing so required a letter from the doctor certifying a dairy allergy---in other words, a medical exemption. :duh

I sh#t you not. No "philosophical exemptions" were allowed from vegan families or parents who use organic milk. The school secretary went on this tirade about how milk is good for the kids. You know, public health and all that. :eyesroll

Suffice to say, DD ended up getting a spot on the waiting list at another school that didn't blink an eye when I packed a separate drink for snack time. That saved me the hassle of getting into a battle with the school district. I'm guessing that some other poor parent had to take that on.
so what happens to the kids who refuse to drink the milk? sent to the principle for not consuming their poison now? i wouldn't doubt it in the least.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

Please tell me you are joking. we would be screwed since we don't drink animal milk.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts

That would be me lol ;)

But I also think there's no reason to believe that kids in a public school are being exposed to a pro-vaccine agenda. I don't think I ever, ever talked about vaccines in school until at LEAST high school and maybe not until college, and by then I am pretty sure kids have firm ideas on their/their family's position on things like this. My kids haven't heard anything about vaccines at school certainly.
Of course the provax agenda is to introduce vaccinations to kids in school and influence them to increase rates.

This article mentions school being an important venue in communicating the importance of vaccination to adolescents early (i.e middle school 11-12 year olds) particularly HPV (with flu and meningococcal discussed as well). If your children haven't heard about vaccines in school yet, just wait.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2954600/#!po=2.77778

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I was pretty surprised to read pro vaccine propaganda in my kid's junior high and high school textbooks.
It was subtle and used in the context of what we call social studies. "Vaccines have saved a lot of lives, blah blah blah. For the greater good, blah blah blah. Can you think of other ways we protect society, blah blah blah."

Here's a link to a student discussion sheet from the UK: http://www.pstt.org.uk/SiteDocuments/doc/Lets Talk/Vaccines/Part 1/VACCINES_pupilsheet1.pdf
Here's a link to teachers' materials that pushes the HPV vaccine: http://www.pstt.org.uk/SiteDocuments/doc/Lets Talk/Vaccines/VACCINES_teacher guide2.pdf

Here are some materials for UK teachers to push the flu vaccine:
Share good times not flu… in school is provided as a service to education by AstraZeneca, makers of the nasal spray flu vaccine used in the national immunisation programme.

Share good times not flu… in school offers a number of resources for the purpose of education, on flu and the vaccine, for use by Headteachers/School Managers and Teachers. They are designed to help you prepare for flu vaccination in your school and assist you in preparing students and parents for what is going to take place. These resources are free of charge and can be downloaded from this site.

- See more at: http://www.sharegoodtimesnotflu.co.uk/school-toolkit.html#sthash.dcnPeRkk.dpuf
And funny enough in my search to find the above I came across this blog by a Dean of Health Sciences (Canada) titled Vaccines: What are we teaching our students...?: https://meds.queensu.ca/blog/?p=2900
Well that sounded fair and balanced. Not!

And now there is talk of the oil companies partnering to help write some of the science textbooks here.
:irked

Props to the parents who can and do homeschool.

·
Registered
18,826 Posts
Fairly creepy, isn't it?

Reactions: samaxtics
1 - 12 of 12 Posts