Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,874 Posts
just a comment on the color systems used in classrooms--my problem with them is that I've never seen a teacher use the system where the child is able to earn the "better" color back. I can see using it almost like a continuum--the child might have a hard morning but work really hard and make up for it in the afternoon, or even within that same morning--but when you use it only in a negative way, where the colors only go south on a kid, well, what's the use? Some kids are going to purposely come in ranting just to get the color change over with immediately...self-fulfilling prophecy. Maybe you can bring that up to the teacher?

· Registered
1,874 Posts
Quote:
I'm sorry but I think you are selling kids majorly short here. They are actually capable of a lot more than you seem to be expecting. Any kid who comes in ranting "just to get the color change over with" deserves a bad conduct grade. That is just a crazy idea to me, and I've NEVER seen it happen.
see my profile Beth. I have.

eta; sorry if you've already read this, I hope not because then it feels unfair to add on, but I'm hoping.

I think, for those of us who work in schools, it is worthwhile to recall that one school does not generalize into all schools. So it is not necessarily comparing apples to apples to say, "This is how we do things in my school" and go on to suggest that things must be exactly that way in someone else's school. I love my district. I have both loved and loathed schools I've worked in. Within those schools I've loved and loathed personnel, and I'm sure those feelings have been mutual. Not all teachers have kids best interests at heart. Not all teachers are effective. Not all people in any field are good at what they do and are in the best field to suit their skills and personality type. And while I've been at the same job for twelve years, all told, I've worked in upwards of twenty schools and now have a child in a different (public) school. Frankly, it's COMPLETELY different when it's your child, and having a child has informed my perspective. For example, I wouldn't let special ed. staff touch either of my kids with a ten foot pole, and I do it for a living. Just my experience and I've worked with some stellar special ed. providers.
And I strongly considered homeschooling (but since I'd have to be at home with my kids to do that, it was problematic) because I've seen some SHOCKING behaviors in schools on the part of staff members. I think it's right and good to ask questions of those in authority.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.