Mothering Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

· Registered
1,965 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dar
Hmmm... as one of "these people", I just wanted to point out that I get paid $95 a day, with a $500 bonus after working 50 days and 100 days. That's in Kansas... in California, I got $105, for subbing in a tiny farm community. Los Angeles and Oakland start at around $150, I believe. In the district where I sub now, every sub is required to have gone through a teacher-training program - we're all currently or formerly credentialed teachers who choose to sub.

Our paraeducators (every district I've worked for since 1999 has referred to them as para-professionals or para-educators, para for short... never "aide") make between $10 and $12.50 an hour, and the district pays for lots of training, on inservice days and during the summer. If the lovaas method were being used with a child here, the para would have training in it.

So no, I don't think it's wrong to expect a sub to know what she's doing, and I actually smile a lot... I like subbing. In classrooms where teachers know what they're doing and leave me with enough information to carry on, things usually go very smoothly. By this point in the school year, kids in well-run classrooms know the expectations and generally follow through with them.

Dar
WOW! that is impressive Dar. Just more evidence how far behind we are in Texas. I think its wonderful that the pay and support is so great where you are. JEALOUS!!!

XOXO
Beth

· Registered
1,965 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1xmom
I went on my dd's field trip and could not believe some of the lunches kids were brought. One kid had a can of MOUNTAIN DEW
, and this is Kindergarten.
I can top this one sadly. I went with our Kinders on a field trip, and most of the class had sugary drinks. However, one child in particular had a soda, a lunchable (all fat and sodium), a bag of cheetos, a bag of M & Ms, and TWO adult size candy bars. It was CRAZY.

This child took off his school button later in the day and was stabbing his pumpkin with it.

His mom asks the teacher "what can I do at home?" DO WE REALLY NEED TO ANSWER THIS?! Its like "how about not sending him to school on crack?"

XOXO
Beth

· Registered
2,459 Posts
I just wanted to say, "thank you" to Altair and BethSLP for explaining the parenting comment. Admittedly, I'm a bit sheltered, I guess, in this area. I had no idea that so many people do things like give their kids Pepsi for breakfast. I can't imagine doing that.

· Registered
2,358 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftField
I just wanted to say, "thank you" to Altair and BethSLP for explaining the parenting comment. Admittedly, I'm a bit sheltered, I guess, in this area. I had no idea that so many people do things like give their kids Pepsi for breakfast. I can't imagine doing that.

Thank you. I think that was one of the hardest things for me to get used to when I started teaching-- I can't single-handedly turn a child's homelife into a nuturing, thoughtful place. There are just way too many kids who do not have a single caring, consistent adult at home. So I hope that anyone who feels like the school is telling them what to do takes a step back and thinks about these kids who NEED some kind of structure at home. Kids don't thrive on parenting through TV, threatening, and junk food.

They really crave having an adult who cares enough to ask about school and help the child do what needs to be done at school. They don't want TV as a babysitter all day every day. They don't want to be yelled at all day.

It's a very hard balance for a school to find-- home life DOES affect school life, and we do have limited means of "intruding" into homelife (social worker if the family needs things, counseling, CPS reports if there is abuse). Beyond that we can hold parent seminars and hope some will come.

· Registered
9,015 Posts
Quote:
I went on my dd's field trip and could not believe some of the lunches kids were brought. One kid had a can of MOUNTAIN DEW , and this is Kindergarten.
Well I've done this and it's not because I'm a bad parent. A field trip is a special occassion and I'll send treats on special occassions for my kids.

Quote:
However, one child in particular had a soda, a lunchable (all fat and sodium), a bag of cheetos, a bag of M & Ms, and TWO adult size candy bars.
My kids may eat that amount(not necessarily that food and not all together) at home, but on a field trip they're too excited about everything else to eat half of that amount of food. My dd was taking way more food to school the first 2 weeks, I was getting a little scared at what the budget would look like.lol It has slowed down alot since then and some days she doesn't finish everything.

· Registered
75 Posts
I have not read all the posts but what irked me when my kids were in school about the "colour" system was that it didn't matter the offense. If a child kicked another child, he got his clip or his name moved. Whereas if the child spoke when he wasn't supposed to, it was the same punishment. I believe the punishment should fit the crime. i.e. if a child KICKS another child, it should be 2 moved spaces (or 3 depending on how many spaces there are available to move). HOWEVER, I also believe that a trip to the school counselor or the principal is absolutely in order or a lost recess. That is violence and nastiness PERIOD! A child who speaks and is on say his last warning, will get sent to the principal's office for talking whereas the kicker has gotten his clip moved once, and does it all over the next day, SWIM?

The final straw in our decision to pull my youngest was all about the clip system. He turned to a girl, stated "I don't like you" and went back to his colouring. Was it right? No. But he stated it matter of factly and continued his business. He did not use hate, did not degrade her (oh you're ugly, you're stupid, etc). Now before this makes someone's blood boil, I have also been on the flipside of the coin. My oldest was severly BULLIED in 1st grade. So yes, whilst the phrase "I don't like you" is not nice, it is alot better than what my child could have been/done.

I also believe that they should make these clip systems universal. My kids have had completely different systems in each of the 3.25 yrs they attended PS. Each teacher should be given a "code" to follow regarding the system.

· Registered
4,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hopeland
After my daughter going though two years of public school now I am further convinced that the purpose is to teach children to conform and discourage creativity. My daughter has learned that learning is not fun, school is about not talking, and taking lots of tests.
Well, yeah. Now that this thread is in "homeschooling" you probably will find many people who agree with this.

Personally, my stomach was in knots reading through this thread--I'm not one for punishments at all though, so it all seemed unfair and denigrating to me.

Do you have specific questions about homeschooling, or are you just looking for a different perspective on the issues your dd has at school?

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Hi,
I am strongly considering homeschooling but there are a few issues to consider. One is I live in Tennessee and there seems to be a "rule" that you have to file each fall and it is too late although it mentioned exceptions being made under certain circumstances I believe. I am going to give the school district or state board a call and see if it is possible to get a waiver on this. My daughter is 6 and in the process of being adopted and has some emotional issues so I think I could have her therapist write them a letter. I am a single parent although my mother lives with my daughter and myself. So it would be difficult to work out the ligistics financially. But I think I could work in the afternoon or evening when my mother is home. My other option is a private school I visited. It is expensive and I would need to find out more regarding financial aid. The thing I like about it is they only have 7 kids in their first grad class this year. The principal said the most they would have in their classes is 18. So if anyone has any suggestions or input I would appreciate it.

· Registered
465 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hopeland
One is I live in Tennessee and there seems to be a "rule" that you have to file each fall and it is too late although it mentioned exceptions being made under certain circumstances I believe.

I am certainly no expert on TN laws, but I went searched around and I am pretty sure that the fall deadline does not apply to those who withdraw their children from ps mid-year. That deadline is to comply with truancy/compulsory attendance laws so since currently your dd is in ps, if you withdrew her would be when you filed a letter of intent to your school district.

Here's a site with legal information for homeschooling in TN
http://homeschooling.about.com/od/tnlegal/

I whole-heartedly agree with Joan.

Good luck with your decision.

· Registered
1,475 Posts
Hopeland,

I just wanted to offer some support for you. I read your posts (and others and lost a few braincells
on those ones) and I find you completely awesome in your analysis of your kid and what happened at school. That teacher was completely out of line with the punishment she wanted to initially give. I usually keep quiet and lurk here in this forum since technically I'm not a homeschooler yet...but I just had to give you a
for standing up for your daughter.

I wanted to share with you a homeschooling link:

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/

That link can make you read till your eyeballs pop out lol . Here is stuff particularly there for tennessee:

http://sitelevel.whatuseek.com/query...ac55d016e4a53d

My daughter is still a baby and I plan on homeschooling. Maybe in that link you can find local support? I know yahoo groups (www.yahoogroups.com) has a lot of homeschooling support maybe they have one for tennessee?

http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query...&submit=Search

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Thank you to everyone for the links...I will check them out. I didnt think about the yahoo groups. I did ask on the Tennessee forum about people near me but didnt hear from anyone so far...except one person who lives a ways away.

· Premium Member
8,993 Posts
[Edit note: I posted the following before reading through the thread and seeing that you're now looking into homeschooling.
]

You might suggest that the teacher and school consider taking some positive steps of their own to ensure that substitute teacher are respected by the students before the fact. They can let them know all along that there will be times when their primary teacher will not be able to be there, but that another teacher will be there to take her place. It can be made clear that they're expected to treat that teacher with the same respect as they give their regular teacher, and that the regular teacher will be leaving instructions as to what should be done while she's gone . The school and/or teacher set the stage when they just suddenly pop in a stranger and refer to her as a "substitute" or a "sub."

I substituted for a while, and it was clear to me that sometimes the children didn't think of me as a teacher who was coming in to carry on the plans of their regular teacher. They expected to have the day off when their regular teacher wasn't there, and could be hostile and unbelievably disruptive when that turned out not to be the case. The regular teacher usually leaves a list of things that are to be accomplished, so it puts the substitute under pressure to get it done. It would be a lot easier if you could just spend a leisurely and fun day playing games, reading to the kids, leading crafts, etc., but that would get you in a whole lot of trouble. It was absolutely horrible at times - you can't imagine the havoc some strong leaders can create among the others. My own experiences were decades ago in a pretty mild-mannered suburb - but my understanding is that it's much harder today.

It's nice to hear a situation where the substitute teacher isn't being blamed for things not working out, but it's so unfair to blame the whole class!
- Lillian

· Registered
4,053 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarrieMF
My kids may eat that amount(not necessarily that food and not all together) at home, but on a field trip they're too excited about everything else to eat half of that amount of food.
I just wanted to clarify that the concern was more about the quality of food than the quantity. My kids eat huge amounts of food, but we eat mostly whole foods, very little processed crap and few sweets. Definitely no soda. I don't mind them snacking as long as they're not pouring empty calories and fat and sugar into little developing bodies...

· Premium Member
8,993 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dar
In classrooms where teachers know what they're doing and leave me with enough information to carry on, things usually go very smoothly. By this point in the school year, kids in well-run classrooms know the expectations and generally follow through with them.
That was similar to my experience. In those instances where I did have a hard time, it was often in cases where things tended to be on the chaotic side under normal cirumstances. One janitor even mentioned to me after the worst day I'd ever had in a classroom that that particular room was always quite a mess at the end of a day. - Lillian

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Well when I spoke with the principal she said that apparently the children did not behave well for the substitute on that Monday but the sub didnt say anything. She left a note for the sub on Tuesday saying that some of the kids should have gone to the office but she didnt send them. The first sub refused to return for another day according to the principal. My daughter told me on Monday afternoon though that were going to have two different subs soI dont know if the principal was being fully honest. The second day an assistant had to go in and help the sub. There are 23 or 24 kids, first grade so I know it isnt easy. I do think some of it has to do with their usual teacher. I am rather fed up with the situation as a whole. I asked the teacher today for a schedule of their activities so I would know what they are doing when I come to observe one day. I told her that I would let her know ahead of time. (this seems to be a big deal to them) She replied with the plans but then reminded me that she would need to know at least a day ahead. I am thinking why...like there is something I cant see?

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I called the county school boardandthey said there are two type of homeschooling in Tennessee. One is independent and you are soley responsible for the childs education...but you have to apply before such and such date(before now) or write to the superintendant and ask for a waiver and state why and then he will say yes or no. The other type is a church related type which require using a satellite program you pay a fee and they provide you with a lesson plan book and possiblly curriculum...that can be done any time in the school year. The lady said she could provide me with the names of the satellite schools. I asked her to mail it to me and also asked for the super. name and address in case I decide to go that route. Anyone know anything about these satellite programs?

41 - 60 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.