Mothering Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

· Registered
2,358 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hopeland
I told her that I would let her know ahead of time. (this seems to be a big deal to them) She replied with the plans but then reminded me that she would need to know at least a day ahead. I am thinking why...like there is something I cant see?
I would def want to know ahead of time! Yes, there are certain activities that would make it more disruptive to have someone else in the room. I would not want to do practice city tests then b/c they are required to be done under normal testing circumstances. I would not do a very messy experiment b/c the messier it gets, the tighter the ship I have to run!

Visitors are a disruption, no matter how much they blend in. My program is the first of its kind in our city, so we have visitors CONSTANTLY and we make do. I do need to warn the kids ahead of time, however, there are a LOT of kids who don't like their routines messed up!

· Registered
4,905 Posts
I only have a sec.....My advice is not to get your homeschooling information from the school system. They aren't experts on homeschooling, just public schooling. Have you hooked up with a local homeschooling group yet? Or posted in Finding Your Tribe?

I really think the best advice on the ins and outs of homeschooling is going to come from experienced homeschooling parents.

Best of luck!

· Registered
3,384 Posts
Quote:

Anyone know anything about these satellite programs?

I am not sure what the satellite programs for Tennesee are, but we use a Virtual Academy based through K12. This is our first year and we love it so far. It acts as a charter school, so you still have to do state testing. You are doing all the teaching from home, so it a mix of homeschool and public school.

· Premium Member
8,993 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chfriend
I only have a sec.....My advice is not to get your homeschooling information from the school system. They aren't experts on homeschooling, just public schooling. Have you hooked up with a local homeschooling group yet? Or posted in Finding Your Tribe?

I really think the best advice on the ins and outs of homeschooling is going to come from experienced homeschooling parents.
Oh, heavens yes! I had just barely skimmmed the part where you were talking about the legal options, but schools have been known to give out some very innacurate information
, even in California where things are pretty simple. Here are a few other sources for good, straight information:

Home Education Magazine - state laws section

National Home Education Network - state laws section

A to Z Home's Cool - state laws section

I would look the laws up in all these sources, because you might find them explained a little differently in each - these are reliable sources, but sometimes it helps your understanding to see the slightly different way it's explained.

Lillian

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I did get information from the school board but also checked the state department of education and the home schoolers defense site. Its the same thing...have to get a waiver or with a church related program.

· Premium Member
8,993 Posts
Quote:

I did get information from the school board but also checked the state department of education and the home schoolers defense site. Its the same thing...have to get a waiver or with a church related program.
The info you got was probably correct, but as strange as this seems, all of those sources were giving out incomplete info in California for a while: school boards, the state department of education, and the HSLDA site. Even members of some local support groups were giving out wrong info. As I said, the info you got was probably fine, but it never hurts to dig around a little in other sources. ; ) Lillian

· Registered
2,750 Posts
I remember in 4th grade we had a substitute teacher one day that brought a HUGE burlap bag full of tennis balls. We spent the whole day outside learning how to juggle. He's the only substitute teacher that I actually remember....

· Premium Member
8,993 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PumpkinSeeds
I remember in 4th grade we had a substitute teacher one day that brought a HUGE burlap bag full of tennis balls. We spent the whole day outside learning how to juggle. He's the only substitute teacher that I actually remember....
Fantastic!!! I wonder if he got into any trouble over that...

I remember one teacher I subbed for who had a huge mess of papers sprawled all over her desk - no labels or instructions - and I was expected to figure out exactly what to do. I found out later from a teacher I knew in that school that the teacher had later been indignantly complaining to other teachers that I had <gasp> done the wrong things with the wrong kids. Well, that explained why it had been so confusing, but I'd have to have been psychic to have known.

It would be lovely if teachers would have on hand folders of FUN ideas/activities/crafts/films/educational games for subsitute teachers to do with the kids - so that it would be that much easier for everyone - rather than expecting business-as-usual. It's not as if much of importance is learned during those few restless days when a teacher is absent, but some really creative and productive things could be going on. Oh well, I'm preaching to the choir here...
Lillian

· Registered
2,358 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillian J

It's not as if much of importance is learned during those few restless days when a teacher is absent, but some really creative and productive things could be going on. Oh well, I'm preaching to the choir here...
Lillian

I do this to an extent, but I'm not allowed to do it completely. We have a lot of subs in my school b/c the teachers get a lot of professional development at Columbia University before each new unit of study. If subs only did fun things, we'd be WAY behind!

I usually provide a list of my normal routines, have copies ready, everything prepped, etc. At the bottom of the sub plans I mention that I understand if not everything is completed. There is always at least 1 fun activity, but they day can't be 100% different from a normal day.

And I talk and talk and talk and talk about the importance of good behavior with subs. I impose my same rewards/consequences as if I were the teacher (when I come back). This works when I get a good sub. When I get a not so good sub, it's hard to punish the kids for their behavior if they've been screamed at all day. My discipline policy is "I will never be disrespectful to you, so I expect the same in return." It works very well. It doesn't work when someone screams at them. I come back to find my best students got into fist fights!

Teaching kids is just hard, period, whether you're a sub or a teacher!

61 - 69 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.