Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me tell ya, not the way one would want to spend a pleasant Friday afternoon.

I threw up blood today and was completely terrified. I can't even describe the depth of the fear. It was on par w/ when I miscarried our last one, though.

I called about 3 ppl before reaching a friend who drove me to the ER. I cried and cried and cried, too. Puking blood is bad! I even called a coworker who is in nursing school to verify w/ her that I should go to the ER. Talk about feeling panicky. I was so distressed over it all and dh was an hour away.
:

So anyway, I went to the ER w/ my friend and she sat w/ me till dh arrived. It helped to have distraction. I was afraid I was gonna lose my lunch again a couple times, but I didn't.

I didn't throw up blood again, so the doctor who examined me said it was likely due to the force and frequency of the vomiting. I throw up CONSTANTLY and suspected I had hyperemesis gravidarum in my previous pregnancies. This is the FIRST time a doctor has actually diagnosed me with it. She gave me a couple of scripts for anti-nausea stuff, they pumped me full of fluids (I will never understand IV-drug users -- needles freak me out), gave me a snack (cranberry juice, graham crackers, and orange jello - yum!) and sent me on my way!

All in all, it wasn't a terrible experience. I've had much worse ER visits, so this one was downright pleasant.

Now I'm feeling all tired and worn out from the anxiety of the afternoon. My dh has put me on bed rest for the weekend and the good doctor told me "no work!" till Monday. I also followed up w/ my mw already and let her know how it went. Dh is making me eggs & bacon.
:

So if you throw up blood, see a doctor.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Oh, you poor thing!! I am glad they got it calmed down.

Yay for your dh for putting you on bedrest and making you a nice dinner!!

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
Wow, that is scary! I'm glad that you got the treatment that you needed, and hopefully everything will work out.

Don't know if the dr. told you this, but when you throw up frank blood (it's red) that's usually a sign of irritation in your esophagus. The time to really get worried is if you throw up coffee grounds. That means the bleeding is lower in your stomach. Watch your stool, too, to see if it's black. Barring those signs, try to stay hydrated (jello is a godsend) and take it easy. I'm glad you have a husband who's taking care of you.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Oh, and my chiropractor told me that the gelatin in jello helps you absorb other nutrients, too. Bonus! She suggested getting the plain gelatin packets and making it up with hot juice to have something with a lower sugar content. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds yummy.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I am glad that you are ok!

I have had a couple of times so far that I have had some blood when I throw up. It is scary, but I figured that it was from my throat being so irritated, so I didn't panic. You know, now thinking about it I didn't even remember to mention it at my last doctors appointment. It hasn't happened for about a week, so I guess its getting better as I get sick less violently.

·
Registered
10,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.

My sil told me to watch for coffee grounds, too! Now I know why.

I can't even explain the fear that goes through one's mind when you see blood coming out of your mouth in such a large amount. I mean, with my miscarriage, I KNEW what was happening. I didn't like it, but at least I knew. This time was just terrifying because I had absolutely no idea. Initially I thought, "Oh, I irritated my throat." but the blood kept coming and my fear kept building.
:

that's good to know about Jello & nutrient absorption. I'm not a big fan of it because of the artificial colors & flavors, but we bought some anyway and it tastes GREAT!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm glad that everything is ok! I had this happen last week. I have to use the bathroom at 4 am and I began throwing up and there was some blood in it. I called the ER and waited for them to call me back. They said it was probably fine and that I should talk to my doc who, of course, was in another town that day. I did get to get a message to her finally and she sent one back saying that it was probably because I was heaving so hard. She went on to mention meds that I could take. It is scary!

I hope that you have some relief soon!

·
Registered
10,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tattiana, omg! I'm glad I'm not alone, yet I'm so sorry you had to deal w/ it.

I'm doing better today, but did feel a little pukey earlier. Dh brought me the phenergan and I tried it, but let's just say my back end felt a little violated.
It didn't take long before I had to go to the bathroom again.

Largely I'm ok so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.