Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ack! Ack! Ack! Say it isn't so!

According to MissSugarKane: "I have heard that pocket dipes wear out even if they are not being used. So storing them for a couple years may end up with unusable diapers."

Can anyone verify this, had it happen to them???

I know nothing lasts forever, but how long can we expect PUL to last?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I learned it myself from this board when someone was debating if they should share their FB's with a friend or save them for the next baby.

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Well, I have not had that experience - though I guess I understand it. Hmmmm . . . something more to research. I posted to the thread in question b/c my FBs survived 3 years of storage between Meredith and Kenny and there was no breakdown of PUL or lack of waterproofing. They were also used for another baby! So, 3 kids and still waterproof!

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Well, my experiance was in buying a cover (punkin shell) from aomeone who said it was barely used. It had been in storage for a couple years though. It is unusable as a waterproof cover and has been since the first time I washed it (in lukewarm- 30# C with clothes, hung to dry) If you look at the plastic (I think it is PUL?) It is worn in lots of spots- like it was rubbed away by someone who was trying to ruin it. The seller insisted it was almost new, barely used.
Mabey I should have sent it back. It got less and less water resistant everytime I washed it. I didn't realize that it would be come conmpletely useless as a cover less than a month after I got it.

Mabey it has to do with storage conditions? Since theses were stored in Israel I would guess they were in a place that got pretty hot every summer.

HTH

-BelovedBird

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that excessive heat during transportation was what ruined the latest batch of bug print pul for Mother of Eden.

Does anyone know what degree of heat causes pul breakdown?

I thought some varieties of pul were autoclavable. That's hotter than boiling!

As to a barely used cover breaking down, it could have been washed in something that ruined it.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
but you do have to store them properly. Do not let them sit in moisture, do not let them sit in the hot sun for three years.......LOL! If you pack them away in a dry covered place they should be like new when you need them for the next baby.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I figured.

Of course they have to be stored squeaky clean and free of detergent residue!

No attics and no garages in FL! (My parents are snowbirds and are storing the family photos in FL year round
)

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Okay where are all you posters who originally posted that it does breakdown over time??

There was a whole thread about it. I only repeated what I heard here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts