Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I made a drawstring PUL wetbag. I've heard of people making them before, but I encountered a problem. The PUL is so grippy (shiny side) that the drawstring is very hard to pull. I replaced the drawstring with a super-thin one, and that helped, but it still leaves a gap where the top of the bag isn't all the way closed.
Is that normal? I wouldn't want to stick a wetbag full of poopy diapers in my backpack with the bag partially open.
So what happened? Did I make the bag too wide? (Don't have it the dimensions with me right now) Casing too small?
I've made zippered PUL bags but wanted to try drawstring, because sewing zippers is a pain!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've never made one, but I imagine that if you folded the top over, grippy sides together, then you could fold that folded part over to make a smooth-inside casing for the drawstring.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
having a small opening at the top of a drawstring bag is normal. Depending on how big the bag is, all that fabric gets bunched at the top. What you can do is pull it closed and then take the strand, wrap around the bag just under the opening and then tie the strand so that they're sealing the bag off the rest of the way.

Also, I'm not sure how you did the draw string, but I like dual drawstrings that are super fast to close up, even with grippy fabric, because you grab them and pull them apart. You feed a strand in and out one side and tie it so it's in a loop. Then take another strand and insert it in and out the opposite side and tie. Then you have a loop coming out of opposite sides and you can just yank them to close and pull the gathered fabric apart to open.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm out of town for a few weeks unexpectedly, so I won't be trying to fix this until I get back home. But I do think the double drawstring might work better, since the fabric is so sticky and it would cinch quicker with the double. Thanks for the idea! Eventually I'll update with what worked well....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.