Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Taking a poll.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>How many of you midwives are using a hand held pulse ox for neonatal resuscitation?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyone using one as a screening tool for Critical Congenital Heart Disease?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyone using one for other purposes in your practice?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Linda Johnson, midwife</p>
<p>Mother's Own Birth Center</p>
<p>Temperance, MI</p>

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
<p>We aren't currently using a pulse ox for babies, though we do have one for adults.</p>

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
I was gonna say, the pulse ox for newborns is a bit different than one for kids/adults (which I use with my own family), but I would think it would be a helpful tool to have. I just honestly haven't seen hand-held newborn pulse ox machines - only ones in NICU hooked to the big machines. I'm guessing they exist, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
<p>I carry one and have a newborn cable/sensor as well as an adult cable/sensor.  It's a great addition, because you can document that baby has appropriate oxygenation and perfusion, also handy with those moms who are having that "shortness of breath" sensation but are absolutely fine, and useful with postpartum hemorrhage also.</p>

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
<p>Not a midwife but I thought I would jump in here. My DD, 11 months, was diagnosed w/a CHD because of a nurse hooking her up to a pulse/ox. Between her first and second heart surgery, we had to monitor her O2 level daily at home. The machine is the same whether used on a grownup or a baby. You have to get specific probes to fit on a newborn/infant. They wrap around the hand, foot or toe and are sticky to hopefully stay in place. I think it would be awesome if all midwives carried a pulse/ox and checked a newborn's O2 level during the newborn exam. Easiest, most non-invasive test and it saves lives.<br>
 </p>

·
Registered
327 Posts
<p>We don't, and I don't think any other midwives around here do either. We do homebirths, if that makes a difference for your poll.</p>

·
Registered
134 Posts
<p>This is what I use - <a href="http://www.devonsuperstore.com/PC-66-Handheld-Pulse-Oximeter-Plus-1-Infant-1-Child-Probe-P146.aspx" target="_blank">http://www.devonsuperstore.com/PC-66-Handheld-Pulse-Oximeter-Plus-1-Infant-1-Child-Probe-P146.aspx</a> Can use it for mom or baby if needed and can do CHD screen at PP home visit. </p>

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<p>I have the Spectro2. It has an adult probe, but you can purchase the neonatal. When I purchased mine from Smith Medical they were running a special that included the neonatal reusable sensor for free.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Spoke with a Hopkins rep at the ACNM convention and they are getting ready to launch a much smaller version of the pulse ox. It will be aimed at OOH midwives and can be used for neonatal resuscitation but more importantly for the CCHD screenings.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>BTW: I think the number of states where CCHD screening is now mandatory (for hospitals) is up to 10. Several other states also have bills and regulations in review. Considering  CCHD affects 1:100 babies and the screening is simple, and, and non invasive, it is something we can easily offer OOH also.<br>
 </p>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts