Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 7 week old has gradually started sleeping longer at night. Yay! She goes about 5-6 hours before I wake her up to eat.. I don't know how long she would go on her own. If I let her sleep through, should I be getting up to pump. I worry with my reoccurring clogged ducts and just getting over mastitis of it happening again.

She is a great nurser during the day - about 2 hours apart and plenty of wet and poopy diapers. And she's growing like a weed.

·
Registered
572 Posts
You don't have to, but if you're feeling uncomfortable, I might take a little off the top, IYKWIM? But it wouldn't hurt to pump and have a little extra stash!

Oh, I see she is 7 weeks...if I were in your boat (I'm not, mine nurses all the time and is slow to grow), I would pump at this age. Not allowing more than 6 hours to pass at night or 4 hours during the day also helps prevent pregnancy during the first 6 months so longs as AF hasn't made an appearance!

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Ugh! I'm with you. I hate pumping at night, but due to raging oversupply issues I have to pump at least once so that I don't explode. But as long as you have no supply issues either way, I would just sleep when she sleeps. So if you get a 5-6 hr. stretch, take advantage!

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
if you dont need a stash i would not. and see how it goes. if you get plugged duct again then you know you will have to pump.

but gosh if you have the chance to sleep i would say SLEEP!!!

i have never pumped at night, but i know my best pumping time was in the morning. even after my dd nursed i could still get a couple of ounces. or else i could get 6 to 8 ounes without nursing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.