Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm preparing for my first night away from DD, who will be 8 months when I go out of town for one night. I was looking at the TSA website, and it looks like I'm screwed as far as traveling with the milk I pump (only 3 ounces -- what's the point of that?) so I guess I will be pumping and dumping which breaks my heart, but I thought I would check with y'all since surely someone knows more about this than I do.<br><br>
I like how they say you can check breastmilk or formula. How would THAT work?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Unless you need to bring the milk you pump home to store for a specific reason you are probably better off just dumping it.<br><br>
I'm assuming that you'll be pumping and storing milk for her before you leave- so she'll be set. Once you get home you'll resume nursing her, so that one day/night's worth of milk won't be of much use.<br><br>
Of course, if keeping all the milk you pump while away is important to you I'm sure there's a way to make it happen!

·
Registered
766 Posts
I just traveled over Easter with a breastpump and milk and it was fine. They do not apply the 3oz limit to baby milk or formula. They do say that you need to be traveling with an infant, but talk to the TSA people at the screening counter and let them know it's for your baby at home. I bet they will let it through.<br><br>
I just put the milk cooler through the x-ray machine separately - told the screener it was baby milk - and they didn't say a thing.<br><br>
If you have short layovers etc - you could check the milk. I might put extra ice packs into the cooler and then be sure to take it out right away when you get home. I bet it will stay cold.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts