Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a couple of really tough weeks and my supply has suffered as a result. Things are going back to normal this week and I have been working really hard at bringing back my supply. So, I started to pump this morning at 8:30 and have been pumping on and off--about 10 minutes on and 10 minutes off since then. So I have just been pumping over and over into the same bottles. I am about to take an hour or so break so I will put the milk away and start with fresh bottles after lunch. What do you think? Is nearly four hours too long to have had this milk out--adding to it continually? I think I read somewhere that it could sit on a counter safely at room temperature for up to 6 hours.

Thanks everyone. I expect to be doing a similar thing this afternoon and all next week until my milk supply gets back to normal!

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
The LLL says pumped breastmilk can safely be left out for up to 10 hours.
Good luck with getting your supply back up to par.

Quote:
Storage Guidelines

Storing milk in 2-4 ounce amounts may reduce waste. Refrigerated milk has more anti-infective properties than frozen milk. Cool milk in refrigerator before adding to frozen milk.

Human milk can be stored

* at room temperature (66-72°F, 19-22°C) for up to 10 hours
* in a refrigerator (32-39°F, 0-4°C) for up to 8 days
* in a freezer compartment inside a refrigerator (variable temperature due to the door opening frequently) for up to 2 weeks
* in a freezer compartment with a separate door (variable temperature due to the door opening frequently) for up to 3 to 4 months.
* in a separate deep freeze (0°F, -19°C) for up to 6 months or longer.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! Thanks for the quick response!! I feel better.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, do you think I could just pump into the same two bottles all day--from like 8:30 until 4:00 in the afternoon and then refrigerate the milk?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
That is what I have done in the past. When I was working at a job where I could come home at lunch, I used to pump the milk in the morning that DS took in the afternoon and never bothered to refrigerate it at all- it just sat on my desk, and I set it on the counter when I got there for lunch.

I have also pumped frequently to increase supply and didn't bother refrigerating or changing bottles until I was done for the day. So sometimes it would sit for 6-8 hours. If it were really hot outside, I would probably not push the maximum. However, milk has amazing anti-microbial properties and does not spoil easily. If you are starting with clean bottles/equipment it really shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also would pump at lunch and not refrigerate. I also found that when my milk got low, due to stress, or whatever, the old trick of having my sons pic to look at worked wonders.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
don't forget: with this heat to drink extra water. even if you're in AC all the darn time.

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
I put mine in a (small, portable) cooler with a freezer pack or two. That kept it cold all day.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Once milk has been refrigerated for a day or 2, and you take it out and warm it under the faucet, how long can that milk be left at room temp?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts