Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is approaching his first birthday at the end of March. Over the last few months he has slowly been eating more solid food and drinking less EBM during the day. I work out of the home and pump 5-8 oz during the work day. I always nurse him first thing in the morning and first thing when I get home from work. Currently he also nurses on and off all night long. The frequent night wakings are wearing me down so I've been considering night weaning sometime in April or May.

My question is this--if I successfully night wean and am only pumping once a day, will I be able to maintain any supply for him? Does night weaning essentially mean the beginning of the end of breastfeeding? I had always intended to keep breastfeeding through his second year but didn't anticipate the sleep issues!

WWYD?

· Registered
304 Posts
Night weaning will not end your milk supply. Your body will adjust and make more during the day, especially since he is nursing before and after work and you are pumping once a day. As long as he is nursing plenty during the day, your milk should be fine. I have night weaned both my boys at the same ages, around 2 years old. It did take a bit for my body to adjust to not making so much milk at night, but has worked out fine for me. The first few nights I had to either nurse right away or pump in the morning due to engorgement.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.