Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only pumped a few times so far, and gotten about 1.5-3 ounces each time.<br><br>
How do I know if I have the right flange size?<br><br>
How do I know if the pressure is right? I obviously had it wrong at some point, because when I squeezed my nipple afterwards some bloody milk came out. Eeek.<br><br>
Faster? Slower?<br><br>
I just have no idea what I'm doing.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Flange size: your nipple should fit in the "tube" part of the flange, with air around it. If your nipple is smushed against the sides, it's too tight; if it's so loose that it's hard to get a good seal, it's too big. <a href="http://www.ameda.com/breastpumping/most/fit.aspx" target="_blank">Here is a good guide.</a><br><br>
Some pumps have the "let down speed" function, where it starts with quick, short bursts of suction that are supposed to mimic baby's letdown trigger sucks. For me, personally, I skip that part and just go straight to the longer, stronger suction. I would start on low, slow suction and start making small changes to see what works. I'd up the length of the suction before I would the "intensity". I have thrush and cracked, bleeding nipples right now and can't tolerate much in the way of strong suction.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts