Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if I should be posting here or the regular Breastfeeding board...please let me know if this should be moved...

DD2 is almost a year old. She's grown well since being born at 4lb11oz, though she's still small -- probably around 16 pounds or so, but height/weight proportionate. She eats what I would consider a moderate amount of solid food -- mostly fruit and beans, some veggies, a little bit of cheese. She reacted violently to both rice and oats (the real thing, not the baby cereal), so we haven't given her any grains at all. I would say she probably gets 25-30% of her calories from food, and the rest is breastmilk. This is ok with me -- she'll eat more solid food whenever she's ready.

My question is about pumping. I've always had difficulty producing much milk in the evenings, and so with DD1 and now with DD2, we always gave a bottle of pumped milk at bedtime. DH gives the bottle and DD2 takes it willingly. I usually am able to pump whatever she'll drink the next night sometime before I go to bed. I also leave her twice a week for four-hour spans during the day, and until recently, I'd been leaving a bottle for the babysitter, along with some solid food. Last week, I forgot to leave a bottle in the fridge, and the sitter didn't get one from the freezer, so she just ate solids while I was gone and nursed when I got home. She seemed ok with that, too -- wasn't hysterically seeking my breast or seeming famished or anything. In fact, she ate more solid food than usual, probably because she was hungrier for not having had a bottle.

So, do you all think it's ok to stop pumping if I leave during the day? And at bedtime, would it be ok once she's one to switch her to soymilk or something like that in her bottle? I am less sure about that nighttime thing...but it seems like she can go without breastmilk during the day if it's not for too long (I seldom leave for more than 4 hours -- I think if I was going to be gone longer, I'd definitely leave a bottle). The reason for all this is purely selfish: I am sick of having the pump on my counter, washing bottles, sterilizing pump parts, etc. -- so if I get a resounding "HECK NO, you MUST keep pumping!," I'd definitely keep pumping.

TIA!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Your DD's only four days younger than mine is! If you're only leaving her twice a week for four hours or so, and she seems like she's okay without nursing for that long, she'd probably be okay without the pumped bottle. My DH takes DD every morning so I can work (or post on MDC, ha) and we've set a four-hour time limit for them being gone. DD's fine for four hours and she's not ravenous when she gets back, although she's always ready to nurse. (Your DD's behavior last week sounds similar to how mine behaves as well.) She'll probably be just fine!

I do know how you feel about pumping! It's always been hard for me. DD's Grandma takes her for four hours once a month, and I always pump for that visit (more for Grandma than for DD at this point - Grandma LOVES feeding DD a bottle) and it takes me two full days of pumping every few hours to get one bottle of breast milk ready for the occasion. So I can imagine how you must feel about doing it all the time.

About the nighttime bottle, I have no idea. I'm sure some other mamas will have some better advice for you on that one.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I just looked at your pics and your girls are absolutely gorgeous!! That picture of Little Shmoo – oh my goodness, what a total cutie pie!!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Oka-san! And I must say, your little Sweet Potato is a DOLL too!

I have to be honest; pumping isn't too hard. I can usually pump enough for her bottle (3-5 ounces -- she's never eaten much at a time) in less than 20 minutes each night. I can't complain. I'm just kind of looking forward to removing some clutter, and simplifying our life a little. Not necessary by any means -- but if it's ok to move on now, I figure it would be nice to do that. I did CLW with DD1 and plan to do the same with DD2, so it would by no means be an end to mama's milk...just mama's milk in a bottle.

I'm looking forward to hearing more opinions -- anyone else?

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
My dd stopped wanting a bottle around 12-13 months...she just wasn't interested. Nursing oh my yes, a cup of water sure, but a cup/sippy/bottle with breast milk was just oh so very last month.

So now she nurses up a storm when I'm home, but during the 6-7 hours a day when I'm at work she drinks water from her cup and snacks on a variety of solids (she's 16months with around 90% of her daily calories from breastmilk).

I think that by the time your babe is a year you're pretty tuned into their needs and probably have a good idea about your own milk supply. If you're only going to be gone a few hours and your babe seems okay with solids/water during that time (and your supply stays strong) then I can't see a reason not to wean your pump.

For the bedtime bottle...are you mostly concerned about giving her a nutritional boost for the night, or is it just the routine? If she needs the "tummy filling" then an infant soymilk (or ricemilk, almondmilk, etc) might be a good choice if you can get in and wipe her teeth after she's done to prevent dental caries. If it's just the routine of a bottle at bed, then maybe a "sleepy snack" near bedtime and then just give some water in the bottle?

(I think the No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers book has a list of good bed time snacks, but I don't know where my copy is right now!)

·
Registered
261 Posts
If pumping isn't such a big deal for you, then why stop? I'm sure your baby loves your milk best. I understand about the wanting to declutter idea. I've been nursing/pumping for 5 years now myself, and want to share something we found to make sterilizing a little easier. Medela makes these microwave sterilization bags - you just rinse the bottles, pump parts, etc, and put them in the bag with a little water and microwave them. Not the most eco-friendly idea (plastic bag, microwave use), but it did help us simplify the routine a bit.

Best wishes to you,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.