Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to go back to work in a few weeks when Ruby will be about 7 -8 weeks old. My plan is to go back for 2 short half days (about 3 hours at first), and my husband will be "working from home" (this means he may check email while I'm gone
) while I"m gone. Sometimes Ruby will go 3 hours between feedings, and sometimes it's 45 mins, so we'll need some milk left behind. I started pumping a couple of days ago....
First time (crappy pump) got 2 tablespoons in 30 mins and endedup with incredibly sore boobs.
Second time (PIS) one ounce in 15 mins and much less discomfort.
today (PIS) 3 oz combined both boobs (although one produced most, as Ruby had just eaten 30 mins before) in 15 mins.
I think my booblets are getting the hang of pumping!
Our LC that I saw when she was 10 days old (she's almost 5 weeks now) recommended that we introduce a bottle between 3-4 weeks just once, to see how she takes it. If she did fine, than a few ounces once a week till I went back to work... nothing regular. So I'll probably have hubby give her a bottle some time this week to see how she does.

Now I need to know how to schedule the pumping.

I know the recomendation for working part time is to pump once a day, but since I'm working REALLY part time, and she may not even miss a feeding..... how often should I pump? I don't want to cause over production, as I already have a pretty fast let down, and she barely handles it as it is. I'd like to build up a little supply in the freezer just in case....

Any ideas?

·
Registered
286 Posts
This worked for us - I started working only afternoons (about 3-4 hrs) when my DD was 3 1/2 months (love my bosses
)

I would feed her from one breast in the morning, then go pump. I'd get the most milk from the other breast (natch). When I was finished I'd let her "clean up" the one I'd pumped from (my pump wasn't the best, nowhere as effective as my baby!). I don't have a great supply, so I never got too much, especially when pumping. But it was enough for a little feed while I was gone, and I built up a little supply in the freezer (and if I'd been good I would have pumped all through the weekends too, but I just couldn't convince myself to
: )

If you do get enough to feed her while you're gone in one pumping, then you'll be fine, if not, doing it every day should get you a good supply in the freezer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts