Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please... DD is almost 8 months, I've been pumping for time away from her (3 days/wk) for work. I use to pump about 10-14 ounces when I was at work, now I'm down to about 4! I have always had to pump a little on days home to supplement what I pump when I'm away. I have an older PIS, I drink mothers milk... I'm going to start back on oatmeal, I don't think my supply has really dropped (she has to gulp to keep up when we BF and she is still growing and wetting diapers).<br><br>
What can I do to increase my pumping production?

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
See if your pump needs any kind of maintenance- there's probably a valve somewhere that needs replacing.<br><br>
My pumping output also decreased the longer I worked and pumped, but I got around that by adding in pumping sessions so I got enough total ebm. I would pump every morning, both workdays and on my days off. Then on workdays I'd pump once or twice at work (depending on how many hours I worked that day) and then sometimes I'd pump again when I returned home, esp if DS wasn't too intersted in nursing when I got home.

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
I agree with checking to be sure that the pump is functioning properly. My sil had one that she'd gotten from HER sil and she always had a hard time getting milk in any quantity. She basically had to pump everytime she nursed to keep up with baby's needs while she was away from her. Then about three weeks into being back at work the pump randomly died. She bought a new one at lunch and her output suddenly increased three fold every pumping. It was a miracle!<br><br>
Then, I'd agree that the oatmeal is a great idea. Too, you could switch from mother's milk tea to taking fenugreek capsules along with blessed thistle. Also, how often are you pumping when you're at work? Is there any possibility that you could pump more frequently? You'll get the best results if you can pump every two hours. Then again, not everybody has the ability to do that. Soooo, try adding pumping in to your time with baby. If the baby will allow you to, try pumping on one side while you nurse on the other for one or two feedings with the baby. That way, you have the benefit of a baby induced let down, which could net you more milk. I'd also add in a pumping session before you go to bed, and after the baby does.<br><br>
Lastly, what are your sleeping arrangements? If you co-sleep and the baby nurses all night, the baby may just be making up the difference while you're together...especially if you wear the baby when you're together and NOT sleeping! PLUS, if you're NOT co-sleeping it could be beneficial in that way, AND because it will further stimulate your prolactin, which is highest at night, to make MORE milk overall, and this could help to improve your supply during the day.<br><br>
If none of that works, you could always try domperidone. It seems to work very well in mothers who have already HAD a strong supply.<br><br>
Too, you would probably benefit from seeking out a LLL group near you. There are often groups who try to accomodate working mothers with meeting times that are more convenient to them. It's likely that if you find an evening meeting you'll find other working mothers who have had the same issues and can tell you what worked for them.<br><br>
Hope some of that helps!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I agree - it's probably the pump. How old is it, what model is it, and how long has it been since you've replaced parts?

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I just started to take Fenugreek during my periods (have yours returned yet? maybe that's why your supply is low-ish). It has really made a big difference for my 13 month old. I am tempted to just keep taking it all month as maintenence....LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts