Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any good pumpkin desserts? Not pies, but other things, like pumpkin brownies, or bars...........any non-pie desserts?

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I have eaten a pumpkin cheesecake that was to die for - with a gingersnap crust. Sadly, it isn't my recipe so I can't post it for you. But if you go to <a href="http:" target="_blank">www.epicurious.com,</a> and go to Advanced Search, put in pumpkin in the keyword section then check off desserts and search, you will get 77 recipes - many are for variations on pumpkin pie, but there are some other yummy sounding ones as well!

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is my favorite cookie. It is from moosewood.<br><br>
1 Cup butter/marg<br>
1 Cup sugar<br><br>
Cream together<br><br>
add and mix well:<br><br>
1 cup pumpkin puree<br>
1 slightly beaten egg<br>
1 tsp vanilla<br><br>
Sift together:<br><br>
2 cup flour<br>
1 tsp baking powder<br>
1/2 tsp baking soda<br>
1 tsp cinnamon<br>
1/4 tsp allspice<br>
1/2 ts salt<br><br><br>
Add the dry stuff to the wet and mix. Then add any or all of the following: cashews, peanuts raisins, choc bits, or anything else you like.<br><br>
Bake 10-15 minutes at 375. Then send some to me!<br><br><br><br><br>
We also like muffins (Again look at moosewood, they have good muffins). From a Libby's advertisement we make Pumpkin Oat Muffins:<br><br>
1.5 C flur<br>
1/2 C oats<br>
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (??? I use some cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, clove, etc.)<br>
2 tsp baking powder<br>
1/2 tsp baking soda<br>
1/2 tsp salt<br>
1 cup pumpkin puree<br>
1/2 C honey<br>
1/3 C apple Juice<br>
2 eggs<br>
1/4 oil<br><br><br>
Combine flour, oats, spices, baking powder and soda, salt.<br>
Beat together everything else. mix wet and dry nad bake 23-27 minutes in muffin tins at 375. We sprinkle more oats on top so it looks pretty.<br><br><br><br>
We also like pumpkin gingerbread (from Beth Hensperger's The Best Quick Breads)<br><br>
There is Pumpkin Pecan pie (very rich and decadent) and of course pumpkin bread. If you want and can't find recipes for these, let me know and I will send you copies.<br><br>
Good luck.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I have had wonderful compliments on nothing more than plain old pumpkin bread with Craisins (dried cranberries). You could use your favorite quick bread recipe if you have some real pumpkin, or even just the store bought boxed version is extra yummy with the zing of the cranberries in it.<br><br>
Hmmmm, I used to make my dog whole wheat and pumpkin muffins to help with his...er, digestive system issues. =) Nothing more than a couple of cups of wheat flour, can of pumpkin, half dozen eggs and a shot of oil.<br><br>
Lots of online recipes for pumpkin soup too. Many, many variations on this theme. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
This may not be the healthiest, but sure were good. My mom made these when we were kids- chocolate chip pumpkin cookies (with our homegrown pumkins). Everyone loved them.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
Here are a few that I have. They are Weight Watchers based so there are point values assigned:<br><br>
Pumpkin Pudding<br>
Ingredients<br>
1 small pkg. sugar free vanilla or butterscotch instant pudding<br>
1 cup canned pumpkin (not mix)<br>
2 cup skim or 1% milk<br>
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice<br>
Mix together and refrigerate. SERVING SIZE: 1 cup POINTS: 2<br><br>
Pumpkin Cheesecake<br>
Makes 6 Servings<br>
Ingredients<br>
9 graham crackers (2 1/2" squares), made into crumbs<br>
1 cup low-fat (1%) cottage cheese<br>
3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese<br>
3/4 cup egg substitute<br>
1/2 cup granulated sugar<br>
1 teaspoon ground ginger<br>
1 teaspoon vanilla extract<br>
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg<br>
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon<br>
1/8 teaspoon salt<br>
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree<br><br>
Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9" glass pie plate with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs over bottom of pie plate; set aside. In food processor or blender, combine cottage cheese and ricotta cheese; process 1 minute, until smooth. Transfer cheese mixture to large bowl. Add egg substitute, sugar, ginger, vanilla extract, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt; stir to mix well. Reserve 1/4 cup of cheese mixture; set aside. Add pumpkin to cheese mixture in large bowl; stir until blended. Scrape batter into prepared pie plate. Drizzle the reserved cheese mixture in 3 concentric circles over the pumpkin batter. With knife, lightly draw the batter from the center toward the outer edge; starting about 2 inches from line, lightly draw the knife from the outer edge toward to center. Repeat pattern around the pie, alternating directions, until a spider web pattern is formed. Bake 45-50 minutes, until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on rack. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. SERVING SIZE: 1/6 of pie POINTS: 4.5 SELECTIONS: 1/8 Vegetable, 1 1/2 Proteins, 1/2 Bread, 60 Optional Calories PER SERVING: 218 Calories, 12 g Protein, 4 g Fat, 33 g Carbohydrate, 344 mg Sodium, 11 mg Cholesterol, 1 g Dietary Fiber<br><br>
Pumpkin Bran Muffins<br>
Makes 12 muffins<br>
Ingredients<br>
Nonstick Cooking Spray<br>
2 cups All-Bran or Fiber One cereal<br>
1 cup skim milk<br>
3/4 cup pumpkin<br>
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or you can use 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger and 1/4 tsp cloves)<br>
1 egg<br>
1/2 cup brown sugar<br>
1 1/4 cup flour<br>
1 tbsp baking powder<br>
1 tsp salt<br>
Mix together and let rest for 5 minutes: cereal and milk. Add pumpkin, egg, pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar. Mix together flour, salt, baking powder and add to pumpkin mixture. Spray 12 regular-sized muffin tins with nonstick spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-17 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. SERVING SIZE: 1 muffin POINTS: 2<br><br>
Cranberry Pumpkin Bread<br>
3 1/2 cups flour<br>
1 cup brown sugar, packed<br>
2 teaspoons baking soda<br>
1 teaspoon baking powder<br>
3/4 teaspoon salt<br>
1 teaspoon cinnamon<br>
1/2 teaspoon clove<br>
1 cup egg substitute<br>
16 ounces cranberry sauce, whole berry<br>
15 ounces pumpkin, canned<br>
1/3 cup apple sauce *<br>
1 tablespoon orange peel -- finely grated<br>
2 tablespoons chopped nuts<br>
Mix dry ingredients in one bowl, and stir in orange peel. Mix remaining ingredients in another bowl, then combine all ingredients. Pour into 2 loaf pans which have been sprayed with nonstick spray; sprinkle with nuts. Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes, then remove from pans.<br>
Serves 32<br><br>
HTH I love pumpkin!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I love pumpkin!<br><br>
This is my favorite non-pie pumpkin dessert...This is based on a recipe I found a few years ago from Mauny Kaseburg at <a href="http:" target="_blank">www.chefshop.com,</a> but I've made a few small changes. Apparently it's based on a traditional dessert from the wine-growing regions of France, made around grape harvest time. It's delicious and healthy, and a nice change from the usual American pumpkin / spice combos. This is known in my family as "That really good pumpkin dessert":<br><br>
1 1/2 cups prunes (no pits!)<br>
1 cup brandy, cognac, juice (orange would be good) or water<br>
1 29-oz can plain pumpkin<br>
2/3 cup sugar<br>
1/4 cup melted butter<br>
1 tsp vanilla<br>
1/2 tsp salt<br>
3 lg eggs, lightly beaten (you can also use egg-replacements or all egg whites to equal 3/4 cup total)<br>
1/3 cup flour<br>
2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced<br>
1 Tbsp butter, cut up<br><br>
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter or lightly grease a 10-inch baking dish (I use canola oil on a bit of paper towel or my canola oil spray). A souffle dish or deep, round, straight-sided casserole dish works best, but you can also use an oval or square dish. Just make sure it's fairly deep and has straight sides for even baking.<br><br>
2. Bring prunes and brandy (or juice/water/etc) to an almost-boil over high heat. Remove from heat, cover and let steep at room temperature for at least 10 minutes, or, even better, overnight. This can also be done in a microwave - put prunes & brandy into a pyrex container and zap on High for 1 minute, then cover & let stand).<br><br>
3. Put pumpkin in the large bowl of an electric mixer or food processor. While beating/processing, add sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter, vanilla & salt. Mix until smooth. Add eggs and mix well. Lastly, add the flour and mix until smooth.<br><br>
4. Place half of the pumpkin mixture into your lightly-greased baking dish. Spoon all of the prunes over this, then top the prunes with the remaining pumpkin mixture. Cover the whole thing with the apple slices in neat circles, overlapping each other.<br>
Top the apple slices with dots of the remaining butter.<br><br>
5. Bake for 45 minutes - 1 hour or until top is golden brown and the center springs back when touched lightly (in my oven, this can take up to 1 1/4 hrs or even a bit more). Best served warm out of the oven, but also very tasty the next day...If you're a dairy fan, it's great with some spiked whipped cream on top, or vanilla ice cream.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts