Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on returning to work at least pt time 3 weeks after baby is born. (money sucks. Especially when you don't have it.)

Debating spending the funds for an electric pump vs hand expression-anybody have any luck with that? I've heard through the grapevine that if you're good at it you can get more than you can pumping, and quicker-but don't know if it would affect supply (different stim than nursing/pumping?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Actually I'd like to know about this too. I lost the horn to my pump, so I've been expressing by hand, but I find it so time consuming. Maybe if I get more practice, but I feel like the pump did such a better job than me, and more comfortable.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
I've never been one who was able to express more than a drop or two using my hands but I know that was how my mother did it and said it worked well for her.

I think a good electric pump like medela or ameda would be best if you will need to pump on a regular basis and want to maintain your milk supply. I really like my medela pump in style and can get 8-10 ounces from each side when I pumped.

That being said they are pricey and I also have used the avent isis when I was in school part time and it worked really well. They are $40 at the store I believe but you can find them cheaper on ebay.

You also might check and see if you qualify for wic, my sil was given a medela lactina (hospital grade) pump instead of formula checks. I'm not sure if she gets to keep it though or gives it back when she is done nursing but either way it was free and would work really well for a new mama who was returning to work.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
I can express plenty by hand - trouble is it goes ALL OVER THE PLACE and I can't collect it in a nice little jar like the pump does.

Pumps are expensive, especially the good ones (Medela PIS), but if you are working full time, they are worth it.
Think of it this way - a brand new PIS costs only about 8 weeks of formula.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.